Caleb Peart-Football

Posted by on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Caleb Peart
Football
Major: Medicine, Health and Society

Vanderbilt is a unique place given the fact that it is a top 15 academic institution that is also a part of the SEC. Even prior to enrolling in Vanderbilt I was well aware of the types of challenges that student-athletes at this university are faced with, but if you know anything about me as a person then you would know that I try not to see any challenge as being insurmountable. I chose to attend Vanderbilt because I wanted to grow (academically and athletically), and growth never occurs on paths of least resistance.

There are a plethora of pathways that I can take after my time ends at Vanderbilt.  Both my Majors, Medicine, Health, and Society and African American Diaspora Studies have allowed me to converge my racial consciousness and health care, in such ways that I am now most interested in Racial health disparities. Whether that passion leads me to one day managing a health care facility or entering into another profession, only time will tell.

It generally begins with how you articulate your current situation. While I fully understand that at a place like Vanderbilt there certainly are some classes that are more challenging than others, one thing I’ve always learned is to never say something is “too hard.”  Instead, I say that something is demanding. The mind is powerful and you have to get yourself to believe even if you have to trick your own self—fake it until you make it.

Most people would probably answer this question by saying balancing your time. And while I believe everyone needs a healthy dose of balance in their lives, for me it ultimately falls back on the idea of prioritization. We’re each given 24hrs in one day, but it depends on how you allocate each of those hours. It is about cutting out, or at least limiting, the things in my life that are not going to propel me to achieve my goals. For example, I could spend 20 extra minutes watching film or I could scroll down my Instagram feed. Where you invest is where you get results.

I don’t really have any particular pre-test ritual. Given the fact that I am not a very superstitious person, I just tend to stick to my process for studying—that is, not cramming material the night before.

“When you realize that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”—Rick Warren