Bree Horrocks-Women’s Basketball

Posted by on Friday, November 30, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Bree Horrocks
Women’s Basketball
Graduate Student
Program: Child Studies

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it is a strong academic school to follow my bachelors. The graduate school is well known and top ranked. Also, Nashville is a great city with many things to do.

I want to get a PhD in clinical psychology specializing in LGBT+ adolescents, and from there I would like to find a position where I can conduct research in best practices and policies for this population and be able to implement those in various settings such as healthcare, schools, etc.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt is likely different for myself as a graduate student than that of an undergrad in the details, but generally discipline is the most important since there is a good bit of time between classes and projects that has to be well managed. Also persistence is important here. If you need help, resources, research experience, extra time with the professor etc., you have to be persistent about it by continuing to reach out to faculty more than once and showing a genuine desire for what it is you’re trying to achieve.

My schedule is much more flexible as a graduate student; however, I have to rely very heavily on scheduling time to parcel out my schoolwork, research study, and other obligations. I manage by making sure I take time for myself to do things I enjoy and spend time with my friends.

I enter the room listening to my chill R&B. I don’t look at my notes or try to cram studying in. I may take a little walk after setting my stuff down if I have time. I use the same pencil for every test for a full year. I haven’t taken a test in about a year though.

“In the end you’ll be okay. If you’re not okay, it’s not the end.” – John Lennon