Josh Smith-Football

Posted by on Monday, August 6, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Josh Smith
Football
Major: Environmental Sociology

I chose to attend Vanderbilt University for a couple of reasons, with the first one being the opportunity. Attending Vanderbilt University presented me as a student-athlete an elite opportunity for philanthropic work, study abroad programs, and networking. Secondly, Vanderbilt gives me the opportunity to compete with the best of the best in academia and sports, being in the SEC athletically and top 15 academically you cannot find another like it. Lastly, I chose Vanderbilt because I had an opportunity to be a pioneer and rewrite the history books, meaning athletically I could help build something that changes the Vanderbilt football stigma. I could be a part of creating an environment that wins conference championships plus be the first to do it. Those are just a couple of the reason why I chose to attend Vanderbilt.

My career goals are to play in the National Football League for 6-10 years, then pursue a career in the field of environmental engineering, specifically architecture, and innovate the way architecture is done making it more efficient both economically and environmentally. Afterwards, I hope to retire and enroll in culinary school to one day start my restaurant that gives back to its community nutritionally and provides opportunities to marginalized communities.

Being academically successful at Vanderbilt, I believe relies on a couple of characteristics: vision, dedication, confidence, willingness, and effort all of which are all things you can control.  One must have a vision of where they want to go and be, because without vision, you will get lost in the unforgiving forest of schooling. Next, you need to have an undaunting dedication to achieve that vision and know that times will get hard, seem overwhelming and failure will come, but that’s where confidence comes in. You will need confidence in yourself because confidence drives belief and if you do not believe, then you’ve lost half the battle for success. Next, you need to have the willingness to fail, succeed and use your support staff. Often people are afraid of failure especially in academics, yet it will happen so you have to be willing to accept that, then be willing to bounce back to change it and ask for help. Lastly, put forth the extra effort to stand out and not be average.

I manage my demanding schedule by using my helpful Vanderbilt support staff, personal planning, and just being dedicated to my vision.

My ritual before taking a test usually consists of me sitting down 15-20 mins somewhere, either by myself or with a classmate and reviewing the information, and stop looking at it 10 minutes prior to the test. Next, I would say a prayer and remind myself that I know the material; confidence in your preparation is key. Lastly, I try to relax so that I can recall all the information I have studied and let the result be what it may.

“Chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.” -Warren Buffett