Eun Sol Chon – Swimming

Posted by on Monday, July 2, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Eun Sol Chon
Swimming
Major: Neuroscience

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because this was the only school in which I could pursue all of my passions and dreams. Vanderbilt University had a rightful reputation as a prestigious and challenging school, and I wanted to go where I would be pushed to and beyond my limits in both academics and athletics. Thankfully, this has proven to be true, and I believe I have grown immensely as a student as well as an athlete during my time at this school.

I am pursuing a PhD in neuroscience and animal behavior, with a specialization in marine wildlife.

I would say time management is the key to not only being academically successful at Vanderbilt but also to being happy in school. Being proactive in devoting the appropriate amount of time to each class has helped me to find time to do other things, such as spending time with my teammates and friends.

To manage my schedule, I like to create To-Do Lists on the homepage of my laptop. Instead of writing broad points, such as “study for __ test,” I write down very specific tasks I want to get done within that day, such as “complete 10 problems from Ch. 3.” I found that whenever I write down “study for test!” or some other general statement, I become habituated to the To Do List and start to fall behind schedule. So being very specific in writing out my tasks and then committing to complete them has helped me to reduce procrastinating and falling behind in my classes.

I like to review the main points of my lecture notes and then also go over concepts that I have struggled with before. But the most important thing I try to do before a test is try to get the appropriate amount of sleep.

“The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” – Harper Lee