Jenn Edobi-Women’s Track and Field

Posted by on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Jenn Edobi
Track and Field
Major: Medicine, Health & Society

I wanted to be in an environment that would challenge me academically and athletically and Vanderbilt seemed like the place I could attain the best of both worlds. To top it all off, Vanderbilt felt comfortable enough to feel just like home but also unfamiliar enough for me to embark on a new journey to grow, and that’s exactly what I needed.

I plan on going to the Grad School here in the 4+1 MHS program and then to Med school wherever the Lord takes me after that.

It takes a lot of confidence in yourself to believe that you have what it takes to get the job done and to do it exceptionally well. Additionally, it takes a lot of discipline to adjust to the workload on and off the field and ultimately, stick to the plan even when fatigue, fear and doubt kick in. For if it were easy everyone could do what you do.

I try to plan ahead and manage my time constructively. I write my responsibilities for each week down and check them off once they’re completed. This helps eradicate the stress from my mind and place it on to paper where it’s better managed. Finally, I make sure to rest in between and engage in activities that help regenerate me… My favorites of them all: prayer, sleep, movies and retail therapy. It’s all about balance.

I close my eyes and pray that the Lord helps me remember all that I’ve studied and abstain from silly mistakes. Then I inhale deeply to calm my nerves, smile and then begin writing.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves; Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -Marianne Williamson