Daniel Valent-Men’s Tennis

Posted by on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Daniel Valent
Men’s Tennis
Major: Biological Sciences

I chose Vanderbilt for multiple reasons. Firstly, because of the Vanderbilt culture. On my recruiting trip I immediately felt accepted and appreciated by coaches, staff and fellow teammates. Secondly, because Vanderbilt is a great academic institution, meaning that I can receive a very well rounded and complete education here. Thirdly, I chose Vanderbilt because of its location – the city of Nashville!

After college I will turn professional and compete in tennis tournaments in Europe. My goal is to break into the top 100 and represent Switzerland at the Olympic games. After my tennis career, I want to get a masters degree in biochemistry. My ultimate goal is to live a life of service to others – to give back.

One important lesson I had to learn was to not compare myself to others. Often I would look around and doubt whether I was studying the right way. If you want to be successful at Vanderbilt, you have to trust your stuff. Additionally, a successful student displays high levels of discipline and drive to be successful.

I manage my schedule by prioritising activities and by using a planner. When I have a clear list of priorities in mind, I can say no to things that distract me from my goal of being academically successful.

Before taking a test I like to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. I also like to tell myself positive affirmations, such as You’ve put in the work. You deserve success. You are good enough. You are smart etc.

When the will for overcoming becomes greater than the obstacle, the obstacle ceases to exist. “ – Anonymous