Oren Burks-Football

Posted by on Sunday, October 1, 2017 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Oren Burks
Football
Major: Human and Organizational Development

The unique combination of a world class education, playing in the SEC, and then having the opportunity to live in a city like Nashville. Being 10hrs away from my home in Virginia initially made me hesitant, but I decided that I wanted to take a leap of faith and challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone. Once I got around Vanderbilt Athletics, student-athletes, coaches, and administration, I was confident that Vanderbilt would help me grow as a man and as an athlete.

After I graduate in December of 2017, I plan to pursue my dream of playing in the NFL. However, during my time here at Vanderbilt I’ve developed a passion for Social-Enterprise which is the use of business tactics to attack social problems: somewhat a blend between non-profits and traditional for-profit business. Coming to a prestigious university like Vanderbilt, you are given the best of both worlds, which leads to a promising future no matter what you decide to pursue.

Hard work, time management, and utilizing your resources available.

“Be where your feet are.” – Anonymous

Be 100% focused wherever you are, whether it’s the practice field, classroom, community service, etc. Resist the urge to multitask because you end up not being nearly as effective as you could be if you just focused on the task at hand.

Go over my notes one last time, reassure myself that I’m “Clear – Focused – Ready,” then attack the test with confidence.

What are your favorite quotes?

“There is no growth without change; there is not change without fear or loss; and there is no loss without pain. Every involves a change of some kind: you must let go of old ways to experience the new. We fear these loses, even if our old ways were self defeating, because, like a worn out pair of shoes, they were at least comfortable and familiar.” – Rick Warren

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.” – Sir Winston Churchill