Jess Dadino-Women’s Lacrosse

Posted by on Monday, April 3, 2017 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Jess Dadino
Women’s Lacrosse
Junior
Major: Human and Organizational Development

My original interest in Vanderbilt was triggered because my brother went here, and when I visited him I absolutely loved it. I knew I wanted to play lacrosse in college, so Vanderbilt really fulfilled all of my needs in a school. It has a highly competitive lacrosse program, the academics are excellent, and the city of Nashville has a lot to offer. I could not be happier with my choice.

Career wise, I am really interested in both consulting and marketing. Specifically, I find interest in organizational consulting and food marketing. I am not yet sure how I would like to pursue either of these paths, but getting into one of these industries in the future is my goal.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt, you need to be extremely organized. As a student-athlete especially, I have found the greatest levels of success in the classroom by keeping track of and on top of my work and being very aware of my time. I think it is also really important to constantly meet with your professors and make sure that you are doing what is expected of you. By meeting with professors and being in constant communication with them, you are able to ensure that you are staying on top of the material and are on the right track with assignments. Vanderbilt is a tough school, but if you put in the time and effort, you can find great success.

I manage my demanding schedule by creating a really organized calendar. In order to keep on top of my work and commitments, I write everything out and check things off one by one when they are completed. I am sure to set time frames as well to make sure that I am getting things done in a timely manner. This is the main reason I am able to keep on top of my work and maintain a strong academic/lacrosse balance.

I do not have a pre-test ritual per se, but I am always sure to read through and write out the key terms and concepts about an hour before the test. This just ensures that I keep the most important parts of the material fresh in my mind so that I feel confident going into the test.

My favorite quote is, “When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up. Let your reason get you back up”. -Les Brown