William Holden-Football

Posted by on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

holden74_jr148William Holden
Football
Major: Human and Organizational Development

I remember doing a player panel with a few of my teammates for a prospective student and his family a few years ago, and his mother asked me why I chose Vanderbilt. This was the first time I was actually asked this question and quickly I responded, “Monday through Friday I am able to compete against the best and smartest students in the nation, and then on Saturday, I am able to compete against the best athletes in the nation.” That is truly why I came to Vanderbilt University – to compete and better myself both on and off the field.

My ultimate goal in life is to make a large sum of money and give it all away before I die. In order to achieve that goal, I have to have great career options. Immediately after I leave Vanderbilt, I want to pursue the NFL for as long as possible. When that option exhausts itself, I will have a Vanderbilt degree and an excellent academic foundation to fall back on. Committing to Vanderbilt provided me with a forty year plan, not a four year plan, so after football, I would like to find a career in strategy and operations for a management consulting firm or within a large corporation.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt, you have to want to learn. Half the battle is going to class, and if you do that consistently, you will find yourself in a position to succeed. The other half of the battle is genuinely wanting to learn. If you don’t have that drive to be a lifelong learner, you won’t be successful at Vanderbilt.

With everything going on from football to class, I find that prioritization is key to my academic success. I tend to place a greater emphasis on things that are vital to my success in the classroom and on the football field. After that, I work towards things that are still important, but may not be as critical as the highly prioritized items. I find time to get everything done; however, prioritizing has helped me manage my schedule best on a daily basis.

I honestly don’t have any rituals that I perform before a test. I just go to class, pay attention, and ask questions – everything else takes care of itself.

“Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon.” – E.M. Forster