Andrew Jelks-Football

Posted by on Tuesday, October 4, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Andrew Jelks
Football
Major: Human & Organizational Development

I chose Vanderbilt to challenge myself both academically and athletically. I did not want to sell myself short in any phase of my life. I wanted to compete with the best students in the world Monday-Friday and be able to compete against the best athletes in the country on Saturday.

My career goals are to become a successful business man within Nashville by using the connections I have made at Vanderbilt.

It takes hard work, dedication and time management to be successful academically at Vanderbilt. You need to take advantage of all the resources given to us here at Vanderbilt.

You need to set your schedule ahead of time. Be able to set aside time for when you will do certain activities. However, take it day by day. Do not get ahead of yourself and get stressed. Stay in the here and now. Take each day one day at a time.

Do not have one. Just concentrate and do the thing.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and  timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt