Nehemiah Mitchell-Football

Posted by on Tuesday, August 2, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Nehemiah Mitchell
Football
Major: Communication Studies

I chose Vanderbilt because of the supreme combination of athletics and academics, in addition to the great atmosphere Nashville has to offer.

Growing up around the city of Oakland, California opened my eyes to the lack of resources many children living in that community have. I want to give back to children in these low-economic areas by becoming a mentor or working with non-profit organizations which will enable them to be on the right path for a successful life.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt takes a lot of long hours studying and preparing for your upcoming classes and exams. Vanderbilt is an extremely challenging school that has instilled many values I will be able to use throughout the rest of my life.

Managing football and academics is somewhat difficult at Vanderbilt, However, I always try to plan out at the beginning of every week what I need to accomplish and complete.

Before an upcoming test, I attempt to prepare a couple days in advance  reviewing notes and with other classmates, I try to stay calm and rely on my preparation. Waking up the morning of the test to review helps me out a lot as well.

“How can I lose when I came here with nothing?”Hassan Whiteside