Kate Sborov-Women’s Golf

Posted by on Tuesday, August 2, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Kate Sborov
Women’s Golf
Major: Medicine, Health and Society

For anyone who attends Vandy or works there, I think the answer is pretty self-explanatory!

Coming from California, Vanderbilt wasn’t really on my radar early in high school, but as I started the recruiting process, Vanderbilt became the school I compared everywhere else to… it was just unbeatable. Vanderbilt had the top academics I was looking for, the world-class research facilities and medical center to give me experience in pursuing a medical career, the SEC a.k.a. the best athletic conference in the country, the city of Nashville which I’ve fallen in love with, and some of the greatest people I’ve ever met, among much more.

When I got to campus, I realized that Vanderbilt had so many incredible resources to help me achieve both my athletic and academic dreams. It was a perfect choice! If I had to do it all over again, I’d come back to Vandy in a heartbeat.

I’ve wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember, and my time spent volunteering and working at Vanderbilt Medical Center has cemented that dream.  After I graduate from Vanderbilt, I plan to apply to medical school and go from there! Growing up around sports, I’ve become interested in orthopedics and sports medicine, but I also have loved working with kids in the Monroe Carrell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt this summer, so I could see myself in pediatrics as well.

Among the multiple strategies that you need to be successful at an academically strong school like Vanderbilt, I think one of the biggest pieces of advice that students hear so often but rarely capitalize on is to see professors in office hours. Building a relationship with professors both in and outside of the classroom setting is so important. Getting to talk with professors one on one has helped me grasp material easier and quicker, prepare for tests more efficiently, and at the end of the semester, having an existing relationship with the professors can help when it comes to grading. I’ve gotten so much more out of my classes just by taking the time to visit my professors a few times each semester.

I’m ambitious in that there’s a lot that I want to do while at Vanderbilt. Academically, I want to do the best I can in class, as well as add on to that by carving out time to work in a developmental cell biology lab and work in clinical research during the year. Athletically, I have the same dreams as many athletes, winning tournaments, SEC titles, and competing in national championships.

Sometimes it feels like there’s just not enough hours in the day! From workouts, to class, to practice, to studying and work, the biggest lesson I’ve learned in managing my schedule is to make productive use of every minute of the day. Whether it’s driving to practice and listening to lecture recordings in my car, or  meeting with study groups during dinner, I try to make the most of my time. When we travel to compete, the day doesn’t end when the round of golf/practice is over.  Back at the hotel or on the plane, I catch up on the lectures and studying I’ve missed, take exams on the road, or do some extra reading.

At times, the schedule of a student athlete gets a bit overwhelming, so it’s always good to take some down time to rejuvenate! I love to do this with my teammates and go see a movie, go shopping, or try new restaurants. It’s good to take a break… occasionally!

“Dress well, Test well” that’s my motto! I think if you feel good about yourself, you are setting yourself up for success. Other than that, I don’t really have a set ritual, just try to get some sleep the night before. Pulling an all-nighter to study hasn’t historically worked well in my favor…

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” – Colossians 3:23