Vanessa Valentine-Women’s Cross Country/Track

Posted by on Sunday, May 1, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Vanessa Valentine
Women’s Cross Country/Track
Major: Engineering Science

Vanderbilt is exciting, challenging, and welcoming, academically and athletically. There is something about being on Vanderbilt’s campus that inspires you to be greater than you could’ve imagined, and I felt that from the start.

Next year, I’ll start as an industrial engineer where I’ll have the opportunity to test my engineering and interpersonal skills in the workplace. Ultimately, my career will be a success to me if I find my work meaningful and enjoy those around me. I’m open to the opportunities that lie ahead.

Patience, perseverance, getting outside of your comfort zone, and finding meaning in your coursework. Freshman year is difficult, but with these attributes and a little confidence, you can do it. As you move through your education, the system at Vanderbilt will mold you into a big picture, critical thinker, and then it will feel as if it comes easy.

I use my heart (friends, family, and faith) and brain (prioritizing and planning) as guidance.

The morning before my test I always do something to treat myself: make an awesome breakfast, enjoy a coffee on my patio, call an old friend, etc.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” – Dr. Seuss