Skyler Carpenter-Women’s Track

Posted by on Thursday, January 1, 2015 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Skyler Carpenter
Women’s Track and Field
Junior
Majors: Medicine, Health an Society and Child Development

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it offered the perfect balance of athletic competition and academic challenges. Vanderbilt is a part of one of the best track conferences in the nation and additionally provides a private education which no other school can acclaim. Additionally, Vanderbilt’s location in the heart of Nashville is pretty hard to top!

I would love to attend the Vanderbilt Nursing program and become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. I would also love to pursue a post-collegiate running career and help younger athletes pursue their track goals.

I would say the most important part to being academically successful at Vanderbilt is time management and behind that, investing time into your classes and your professors. Additionally,the demands of a Vanderbilt education are much more tolerable with a “big picture” perspective. My advice-Don’t sweat the small stuff!

Being organized & planning ahead has been the most beneficial way for me to keep up with the demanding schedule Vanderbilt can have. I also find value in being involved with many things as it keeps me busy and balanced! 

Typically I will review my notes once, go grab a coffee and then take my mind off schoolwork before taking the test.

“You’re going to go through tough times-that’s life. But nothing happens to you, it happens for you.” -Joel Osteen.