Rhys Johnson-Men’s Tennis

Posted by on Monday, December 1, 2014 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Rhys Johnson
Men’s Tennis
Junior
Major: Economics

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because for me it was one of the best schools that combined both academics and athletics together, allowing me to not only pursue my athletic goals; but my academic pursuits as well. 

Obviously I would like to be successful, but at the moment I don’t have any specific career goals, rather I would like to finish my degree and then see where that takes me. 

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt I think it takes discipline. I try to study to get ahead, but by planning, studying and working when you need to, you can achieve good grades. 

I think managing a schedule as difficult as a student-athlete’s schedule requires efficiency: efficiency in the sense that you need to utilise all the time that you can to its fullest potential. Otherwise, you will simply get left behind in the fast-paced college life.  

I honestly just sit there and wait. I am a pretty firm believer that if you don’t know something right before a test, you probably aren’t going to be able to learn it by cramming and if you do, you are going to forget the other stuff. I just like to sit and relax before a big test or final. 

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity”- Seneca