Incoming Sponsored Billing Agreements
1. New Incoming Sponsored Billing Agreement Proposal in COEUS
All SBAs are required to be submitted through COEUS in order to capture needed information to approve the proposal. SBA proposals must then be submitted through PEER to be negotiated by the CO.
Required Documentation needed for COEUS Submission
- Letter of Intent to Establish a Sponsored Billing Agreement (VU-VUMC) (to be signed by SPA to be returned to Prime Recipient)
- Budget Justification
- Statement of Work
Please contact your SPA specialist if you require technical assistance in creating your contract proposal.
2. Log a SBA Proposal in PEER
After you have fully complete the COEUS proposal, but before submitting for approval, the Research Unit (RU) creates a PEER VUMC Billing Agreement log (“G” log) to track the proposal and capture PI Assurance Certification and Key Person(s) Conflict of Interest (COI).
PI and Faculty involved as Key Persons in the proposal will receive an e-mail requesting Assurance and COI be completed.
A Proposal will not be approved by SPA until all certifications are completed.
After submitting “G” log for SBA proposal, return to COEUS proposal, certify the investigator, and submit proposal.
3. Route COEUS Proposal for Approval
When RU submits proposal to SPA for approval, the proposal is routed to other Research Units (RUs) with Faculty listed as Key Persons on the project for approval, prior to being received by SPA.
4. SPA SBA Proposal Approval Process
Once all RUs have approved the proposal, the COEUS Proposal is received in SPA for review.
- SPA Grant Coordinator updates PEER “G” Log to “Received in Central Office”.
- Proposal appears on designated SPA Specialist PEER work log indicating that proposal is waiting for review.
- SPA Administrative Review includes? (What are you reviewing?)
- Abstract/Scope of Work
- Budget (F&A / Fringe Rates, effort)
- Budget Justification (compared to Budget for accuracy)
PLEASE NOTE: During review, proposal may be returned to PI/department for corrections based on budget, effort, missing narratives. Please see Routing and Possible Problems (coming soon) for more information.
- SPA Specialist updates PEER “G” log to "Completed" and approves COEUS proposal.
- SPA specialist will notify RU by email that they can initiate a Contract Request from the “G” log once VUMC has provided the draft SBA document.
5. Creating a New Contract Request in PEER
Research Unit (RU) initiates Contract Request (CR) via PEER using the “G” log associated with the COEUS proposal
- PEER Manual: Page 14 "New Contract Requests"
* Please note : A Contract Request will not be approved without a link to a COEUS proposal via a “G” PEER log.
PEER Navigation pages to complete:
- General Information
- Funding & Dates
- Sponsor/Other Party
- Attachments -- Draft Agreement including SOW, Budget, Budget Justification & NOGA of funding prime
- Review & Submit -- System will run validations to ensure complete request
REMINDER : request will not be approved without a link to a COEUS proposal via a “G” PEER log.
A Contract Request is completed and submitted by Research Unit via PEER to SPA.
6. PEER Contract Request Approval by SPA
- SPA receives notice via PEER that Contract Request has been submitted and is ready for set-up.
- SPA assigns the CR to a Contract Officer (CO).
- Contract Coordinator (CC) is notified via PEER to initiate contract set-up and assign UNIV # in PEER.
- Research Unit and CO receive an automated introductory email titled “PEER-New Contract – UNIV ####” indicating CO will begin review.
- CO will work with PI and RU to negotiate contract with VUMC.