“Viva Sutherland! Sutherland House features four floors of fantastic people that are committed to making this House into a Home. We are led by Dr. Helmuth, a professor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, with a vision of an inclusive community that prioritizes our experiences and identity. Weekly, we build community with Sutherland Socials- casual get-togethers with the entire house that serve as a study break and a chance to learn about people from different floors. Sutherland also cares deeply about the tradition of the Cafecito, the Costa Rican experience of a midday break of coffee with friends and engaging conversation. Together with the RA staff and these intentional events, Sutherland House is an incredible place to live and a place where you fit in by virtue of being placed in this House.”
-Kayla Ortiz, Head Resident Adviser
Signature programming at Sutherland House includes the following events:
- Cafecitos: Professor Helmuth hosts Cafecitos several times a week, inspired by the Latin American coffee-hour tradition. There is always delicious food, lively discussion, and her famous hidden themes (we will explain when you get here!). Keep your curiosity well nurtured as you encounter a wide range of ideas, people, and projects. Attire is casual but the conversation is elegant and purposeful – all you need to do is show up, prepared to listen and engage.
- Sutherland Socials: From local food treats to talent shows, from movies to special guests, Sutherland House honors the importance of a study break during their weekly Sutherland Socials. We make sure our residents hear essential information every first-year student needs to know. Every week we leave our rooms to meet downstairs in the lobby for food, fun, and friendship. Sutherland Socials are a cherished time for residents and RAs alike!
- Chalene Helmuth, Faculty Head
- Aimee Robinson, Program Coordinator
- Alexander Nichols, Graduate Student Worker
- Megan Harvey, Graduate Student Worker
House Programming & Advisory Council
Elections/appointments to the House Programming & Advisory Council occur in early September. For more details ask your RA staff or email Program Coordinator Aimee Robinson.