“Welcome to East House! We are a community embarking on a journey unlike any other, experiencing what it’s like to encounter other backgrounds, interests, and perspectives so that our own interests and perspectives transform in ways we cannot anticipate yet. I think this is part of why we travel sometimes—to have a larger sense of perspective when we return home. So I invite you to join us on our journey from our shared home at East House, on The Ingram Commons, to an expanded sense of home and belonging, here at Vanderbilt and in the world beyond.”
– Elizabeth Meadows, Faculty Head of House
Follow East on Instagram
Signature programming at East House includes the following events:
- Weekly Signature Event—East Games Every Monday, join other members of East House to unwind with some creative online games! We’ll feature trivia in various formats, practice our visual-thinking (and mindreading) skills with games like Pictionary, and also find time to relax with movie nights!
- Faculty Conversations Once a month, join in a conversation with two of Vanderbilt’s faculty as they discuss why and how their research, scholarship, and teaching matters in the world beyond the university. Each conversation will feature two faculty members whose work addresses a particular real-world problem or issue from two different angles. Not only will you learn about Vanderbilt’s world-class faculty, you’ll have the chance to get to know how they discovered their passions and talents, and hear about the exciting courses they’re teaching!
- Students Spill the Tea Once a month, East residents and East-affiliated students gather around the outdoor firepit to hear from upper-division students—East veterans and others—who will share what they wish they’d known about getting the most out of the first year at Vanderbilt!
- Story Exchanges We will gather in small groups to share stories and experience the transformative power of empathy, as we learn to connect deeply with others, engage with others’ perspectives, and celebrate the multiple differences that come together in our community at East.
House Programming &Advisory Council
Elections/appointments to the House Programming & Advisory Council occurs in late August and early September. For more details ask your RA staff or email Program Coordinator Aimee Robinson.