Dean of The Ingram Commons Search
Dean of The Ingram Commons Job Description:
The Dean of the Martha Rivers Ingram Commons serves as the academic leader, mentor, and senior administrator of the first-year experience. This person is instrumental in maintaining The Ingram Commons as an intellectually vibrant and welcoming experience and, along with the 10 Faculty Heads of House, resides in The Ingram Commons to become personally engaged in the lives of our youngest undergraduates. The successful candidate for this position has the ability to engage a wide range of people and will serve as the public representative of The Ingram Commons for admissions, parents and families, alumni relations and development, student organizations, and the university at large. This person will ensure that The Ingram Commons experience continues its work of opening the eyes of new students to the diversity of experiences, people, and opportunities at Vanderbilt University.
Given the introduction of Immersion Vanderbilt as a degree requirement for all undergraduate students, the candidate should be committed to forging direct linkages between The Ingram Commons experience and the academic schools. In addition, this person reports to Associate Provost and Dean of Residential Faculty in order to support and maintain the programmatic vision of the Residential College system. This person should possess a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with campus partners. The Dean of The Ingram Commons must be tenured (or of equivalent rank in the Blair School or Law School) or be put forward as an exception by their dean. The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated record of achievement in research, teaching and service and must possess the personal and professional skills required to lead this distinctive component of the undergraduate experience at Vanderbilt.
Search for Dean of The Ingram Commons, 2018-2019
- Vanessa Beasley, Committee Chair, Associate Professor of Communication Studies, College of Arts and Science; Associate Provost and Dean of Residential Faculty
- Katharine Brooks, Evans Family Executive Director, Vanderbilt Career Center
- Greg Fontus, Assistant Director, Inclusion Initiatives and Cultural Competence
- Robert Fry, Senior Lecturer in Music History and Literature, Blair School of Music
- John Gaines, Director, Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Chalene Helmuth, Senior Lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese, College of Arts and Science
- Amanda Lowery, Assistant Professor of the practice of Biomedical Engineering, School of Engineering
- Christina Robbins, Director of Operations, Residential Colleges
- Claire Smrekar, Associate Professor, Department of Leadership, Policy, and Organizations, Peabody College of Education and Human Development
- Lijun Song, Associate Professor of Sociology, College of Arts and Science
- Randy Tarkington, Senior Director, Residential Education