Housing and Residential Education | Vanderbilt University

Home » Housing Assignments » Requests for ADA Accommodations and other Special Requests

Requests for ADA Accommodations and other Special Requests

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus for undergraduates and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education. This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the University’s residential requirement:

“All unmarried undergraduate students must live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and Summer sessions. Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus.” (Student Handbook)

The Office of Housing and Residential Education partners with the Office of Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action and Disability Services (EAD) / Disability Services Program (DSP) to ensure consistency in evaluating requests for reasonable accommodation in housing. Student seeking reasonable accommodation due to a documented impairment and who would like to be considered for reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, should contact the Disability Services Program Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at 615-322-4705. EAD/DSP will review all requests and share approved student requests with the Office of Housing Assignments. Students with approved requests will be offered a reasonable accommodation that meets the documented and approved need. The EAD/DSP website (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ead/contact_us/contact_us_ead.php) provides information for students regarding reasonable accommodations, documentation guidelines and other information about the office.

All students who request reasonable accommodation in housing due to a medical, psychological or disability impairment must submit full and current documentation to the EAD/DSP. The Office of Housing Assignments will not accept any documentation or housing requests regarding a student’s medical, psychological or disability related condition.

If EAD/DSP determines that a student is eligible for reasonable accommodation in housing, the Office of Housing Assignments will contact the student about her or his assignment. The Office of Housing Assignments makes every effort to find appropriate and reasonable assignment as recommended by the EAD/DSP.

Because housing is assigned anew for each academic year, students must renew their requests each year.

Key Dates

  • November 30, 2017 – Deadline for students returning to Vanderbilt for the spring of 2018 (fall 2017 study abroad participants, internship participants and students on a leave of absence) to submit requests for reasonable accommodation.  Students residing on-campus for the fall of 2017 do not need to resubmit documentation for the spring of 2018.
  • January 15, 2018 – Deadline for students to submit requests for reasonable accommodation for the 2018-2019 academic year.
  • June 30, 2018 – Deadline for all incoming first-year and transfer students to submit requests for reasonable accommodation for the 2018-2019 academic year.

NOTE: Late requests will not be considered until after the housing assignment process is complete. If a student requested reasonable accommodation but turns down the opportunity to live in a space that meets their approved need, the student must participate in the regular housing selection process. Any new requests from the student must be reviewed by EAD/DSP.