Front Desk Assistant
The Office of Housing and Residential Education (OHARE) provides safe, secure, comfortable, accessible and healthy housing for its residents. Programming for residents builds communities in which students’ social needs for belonging, friendship, recognition, respect and dignity are met. These communities foster learning, personal development, academic achievement, and successful transitions for both new students and graduates.
There are five residential area desks throughout the university’s residential system that are staffed by professional Receptionists and Campus Security Employees from 8am-4pm Monday through Friday. OHARE employs over 75 students in the Front Desk Assistant Program at these residential area desks. Front Desk Assistants are scheduled in 4 hour shifts in the residual time period, excepting 12am-8am at the non-24 hour desks. Front Desk Attendants (FDAs) provide customer service, limited building security, administrative tasks, as well as passive programming for the area community.
DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITIES
A Front Desk Assistant will be expected to:
- Create a collegiate and friendly atmosphere throughout the residential communities by implementing passive programming at the desk.
- Observe and report any concerning activity.
- Provide customer service and assistance to students living in the residence halls, Vanderbilt affiliates, and guests of campus.
- Support administrative tasks as needed in each residential area.
Responsibilities May Include (but not limited to):
- Maintain and monitor key boxes for the residential area
- Assist in disbursement of temporary access cards
- Manage equipment check-out
- Work with campus partners to maintain desk area and building lobby
- Communicate and collaborate with resident advisers
- Attend monthly staff meetings
Full-time Vanderbilt University Student
All applicants must be able to work at least 8 hours/week. Those with greater availability are preferred. As an undergraduate Front Desk Assistant, the maximum amount of hours a student (domestic and international) can work may not exceed 19.5 hours per week. Graduate student Front Desk Assistants (domestic and international) may not exceed 29.5 hours per week. No Front Desk Assistant, including those holding other positions of employment at Vanderbilt, may work for the University for more than the aforementioned hours per week; however, there will be some occasions during university holidays and certain break periods where students will be permitted to earn hours beyond the standard 19.5 (or 29.5) hours per week limit.
This position is paid hourly according to the following breakdown:
$7.25/hour for shifts during 8AM – 12Midnight period
$8/hour for 12Midnight – 4AM shift
$9/hour for 4AM – 8AM shift
On campus housing is not provided as a benefit of this position.
Applications Open: February 13, 2017
Applications Close: March 15, 2017
Interviews for New Applicants: March 27-31, 2017