The Outdoor Recreation Center
Find everything for your next excursion in one place. We offer a variety of quality outdoor equipment for Vanderbilt University students and Rec members.
The ORC will be closed November 18-26 for Thanksgiving Break. We will re-open on Monday, November 27.
Monday, November 13-Sunday, February 11
Monday-Friday: 3:00 - 6:00 pm
How to make a reservation or rent gear:
To rent equipment, a Vanderbilt student, faculty/staff, or medical staff ID card must be present.
- Come to the Outdoor Recreation Center up to 30 days in advance.
- Present your Vanderbilt student, faculty/staff, or medical center ID (VU Alumni can rent at a slightly higher fee).
- Pick out your equipment.
- Pay for the reservation with cash, credit, commodore card, or check.
- Return on the start day of your reservation and pick up your gear.
- We can only do reservations in person and not over the phone.
- A weekend price covers Thursday to Monday.
- Cancellations more than 42 hours in advance will receive a full refund. 18-42 hours in advance will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations made less than 18 hours in advance will not receive a refund.
- To cancel a reservation, call the ORC during hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equipment Rental Rates:
Boats (Canoes and Kayaks)
- Please pick up/return all boats by 5:30 pm.
- The renter is responsible for the safe loading and transportation of the boat(s). The ORC staff can assist with the loading/unloading of kayaks and canoes on/off vehicles.
- Return equipment to the ORC only during business hours.
- Please arrive a minimum of 30 minutes before closing time.
- Returned items are expected to be reasonable clean.
- Fees will be charged for late, damaged, lost, stolen, or excessively dirty equipment.
- Equipment does not to be returned by the renter; other individuals may return the equipment
- For equipment returned after the due date, a late charge be incurred.
- A late charge will be calculated:
- 1-2 ORC business days late equals a 35% fine of the rental fee
- 3-4 ORC business days late equals a 50% fine of the rental fee
- 5-6 ORC business days late equals a 100% fine of the rental fee
- The renter is responsible for the full replacement cost of all equipment not returned, damaged, lost, or stolen.
- A cleaning charge of $5, $10, or $15 per item will be assess for equipment requiring cleaning.
- If a boat is picked up or returned after 5:30 pm, a $10 fee will be charged.
Vanderbilt Student Groups
Are you a student group interested in having the Outdoor Recreation Center outfit your retreat, campout, or event?
Special Rules for Non-Vanderbilt Affiliates
You must know someone who attends classes at Vanderbilt or works at Vanderbilt University or Vanderbilt Medical Center.
- Complete the renter authorization for non-VU form.
- Submit a photocopy of the Vanderbilt affiliate's driver's license.
- Bring form and copy of driver's license to the Outdoor Recreation Center.