Facility Closure Announcements
The University is limiting operations to protect our community at large from the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Effective immediately, Vandy Rec is CLOSED until further notice. We will continue to update you on future services. If you have any questions, please contact Kenny Moore, Director, at email@example.com. Go Dores!
The following adjustments to Vandy Rec Outdoor Recreation operations have been made:
- The Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center is CLOSED, effective Monday, March 16th, until further notice.
- All Outdoor Rec Trips are CANCELLED until further notice.
- All Climbing Wall programs are CANCELLED until further notice.
- All Aquatic programs are CANCELLED until further notice. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Swim School Lessons
- Kayak Roll Clinics
- Club Sports
- Intramural Sports
- All Reservations with the exception of Varsity Athletics are CANCELLED for the months of March and April.
Are you up for a new challenge? Our friendly staff will help introduce you to the fast-growing sport of climbing. We change our climbing routes monthly to continue challenging climbers and further develop skills. The best part is there is no additional cost to climb, rent shoes and harnesses, or learn to belay.
There is no additional cost to climb, rent shoes and harnesses, or learn to belay. Our friendly staff will help introduce you to the fast-growing sport of climbing. We change our climbing routes monthly to continue challenging climbers and further develop skills.
1. Climbing is only permitted when a designated VU Climbing Wall Staff member is present
2. All climbers must have a current membership to the Rec Center or be an official guest
3. Any patron under 18 years of age must have a guardian present in the climbing area while using the wall.
4. Only approved climbers, as designated by the VUORC administrators, can belay at the climbing wall.
a. Belay approved climbers must wear the “Belay Approved” tag while belaying.
5. Climbers may use personal harnesses, shoes, and chalk bags, but must use VUORC belay devices.
6. The adjustment or rearrangement of holds is strictly prohibited. The wall will be periodically changed by designated staff or at an Everybody Sets event.
7. Helmets are not required but are available upon request.
8. The front desk supervisor, the facility supervisor, or the VUORC administrators reserve the right to deny access to the wall.
9. Climbing courtesy is an expectation of all users of the wall.
10. Scheduled workshops, classes, and supervised climbing times will take priority over open climbing.
Bouldering Policies - Climbers may engage in bouldering on the wall. Climbers who are bouldering must adhere to the following instructions:
a. One’s hands cannot go higher than 12 feet (Indicated on the wall)
b. Bouldering to the 12 feet mark may only occur over the connected crash pads
c. Patrons under the age of 13 years old cannot boulder above 8 feet (Bolt line)
d. Additionally, users who wish to boulder must give right of way to roped climbers.
How to get belay approved:
- The climbing wall's friendly and knowledgeable staff can teach belaying skills during all climbing wall hours.
- If you have previous belay experience, you can skip straight to taking our belay approval test.
- To become belay approved, participants must pass the belay test with 100 percent.