Lightning and Thunder:
If the Rec staff hears thunder, sees lightning, or receives a notification lightning warning from VUPD:
- The pool and outdoor spaces are immediately cleared and closed.
- Pool and outdoor space access are suspended for a minimum of 30 minutes after the last observation of lightning/thunder.
- VUPD's lightning warning notifications always take precedence and may extend beyond 30 minutes.
- Rec staff will monitor the 30-minute window and/or wait for the VUPD lightning warning to expire.
- Each time lightning is seen or thunder is heard, the 30 minutes restart. Again, VUPD lightning warnings can extend the Rec's suspension of access to the pool and outdoor spaces.
After 30 minutes free of lightning/thunder, or VUPD's lightning warning expires, Rec staff will reopen the pool and outdoor spaces.
For more information regarding emergency preparedness, please review the Vanderbilt University Severe Weather Warning System webpage.
Watch: Conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorms including tornadoes. Stay alert.
Warning: A tornado or storm capable of producing a tornado is impacting campus.
Alert VU and a warning siren will sound.
Move to your closest designated areas in Rec.
- East Corridor
- East Corridor Men's and Women's Locker-rooms
- Field House Corridor
- Men's and Women's Field House Corridor Restrooms
Do not leave the tornado shelter location until you have received the "all clear" from Alert VU or the Rec staff.
- No running on the deck.
- No pushing, shoving, horseplay, or inappropriate behavior is allowed.
- No diving into the shallow end of the pool.
- No hanging on lane ropes or hand rails.
- Breath holding training/drills/exercises are strictly PROHIBITED.
- Backward dives and flips are strictly prohibited.
- Gum and band-aids must be deposited in the trash cans BEFORE entering the water.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the aquatic facility and on the outside patio.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the aquatic facility. (Plastic water bottles are permitted with WATER only).
- No animals are permitted in the pool area, with the exception of service animals
- All patrons must shower before entering the pool and after use of lavatories.
- Proper swim attire is required. Street clothes, denim shorts, or thong bathing suits are not permitted in the pool area.
- Tennessee State Department of Health requires children under 2 years of age and those who are not toilet trained, to wear swim diapers.
- Diaper changing on the pool deck is prohibited.
- The Aquatics Staff provides complimentary life jackets upon request.
- Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times. When in the pool area, a ratio of one parent / guardian per four children 13 years of age and under must be present. Children who cannot swim must be within an arm's reach of a parent/guardian in the shallow end at all times. There must be one parent/guardian per child who cannot swim.
- Individuals who cannot swim are only allowed in the shallow end of the pool.
- Coaching, teaching, instruction, and personal training for personal financial gain is prohibited.
- Guards may ask patrons to take a 25 yard swim test, before entering the deep end.
- Patrons must listen to the lifeguards and aquatic staff at all times. They are present to help.
- Rude or disrespectful behavior to any Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, or Rec staff member will not be tolerated. Violators will be asked to leave the Aquatic Facility.
- During peak hours or periods of high occupancy, pool patrons must share lanes. Patrons must use circle swimming method (see diagram in pool area).
- Rec Management reserves the right to ask any patron to leave for non-compliance with the above policies.
- If Rec staff hears thunder, sees lightning, or is notified of a lightning warning: the pool is immediately cleared and closed. Please see the lightning and thunder policy above.
- ONLY children under 4 years of age, of the opposite gender, may enter locker rooms and shower areas.
- Use of any electronic devices inside the locker room is strictly prohibited.
- Lockers located in the locker room are for day use only. Overnight use is not allowed.
- Lockers in the corridor are for rental use only.
- Day use combo lock is available at equipment services for. $.50 (non-refundable rental). Day use combo locks are for locker room lockers only.
- The Rec is not responsible for items left in lockers when locks are removed.