Lightning and Thunder:
If the VRWC staff hears thunder, sees lightning, or is notified of a lightning warning:
- The pool is immediately cleared and closed.
- Pool access is suspended for 30 mins after the last observation of lightning/thunder.
- VRWC staff monitors the 30 min window.
- Each time lightning/thunder are heard or seen, the 30 mins restarts.
After 30 mins free of lightning/thunder, VRWC staff will reopen the pool.
Watch: Conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorms including tornadoes. Stay alert.
Warning: A tornado or storm capable of producing a tornado is impacting campus.
Alert VU and a warning siren will sound.
Move to your closest designated areas in VRWC.
- East Corridor
- East Corridor Men's and Women's Locker-rooms
- Field House Corridor
- Men's and Women's Field House Corridor Restrooms
Do not leave the tornado shelter location until you have received the "all clear" from Alert VU or the VRWC staff.
- No running on the deck.
- No pushing, shoving, horseplay, or inappropriate behavior is allowed.
- No diving into the shallow end of the pool.
- No hanging on lane ropes or hand rails.
- Breath holding training/drills/exercises are strictly PROHIBITED.
- Backward dives and flips are strictly prohibited.
- Gum and band-aids must be deposited in the trash cans BEFORE entering the water.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the aquatic facility and on the outside patio.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the aquatic facility. (Plastic water bottles are permitted with WATER only).
- No animals are permitted in the pool area, with the exception of service animals
- All patrons must shower before entering the pool and after use of lavatories.
- Proper swim attire is required. Street clothes, denim shorts, or thong bathing suits are not permitted in the pool area.
- Tennessee State Department of Health requires children under 2 years of age and those who are not toilet trained, to wear swim diapers.
- Diaper changing on the pool deck is prohibited.
- The Aquatics Staff provides complimentary life jackets upon request.
- Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times. When in the pool area, a ratio of one parent / guardian per four children 13 years of age and under must be present. Children who cannot swim must be within an arm's reach of a parent/guardian in the shallow end at all times. There must be one parent/guardian per child who cannot swim.
- Individuals who cannot swim are only allowed in the shallow end of the pool.
- Coaching, teaching, instruction, and personal training for personal financial gain is prohibited.
- Guards may ask patrons to take a 25 yard swim test, before entering the deep end.
- Patrons must listen to the lifeguards and aquatic staff at all times. They are present to help.
- Rude or disrespectful behavior to any Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, or VRWC staff member will not be tolerated. Violators will be asked to leave the Aquatic Facility.
- During peak hours or periods of high occupancy, pool patrons must share lanes. Patrons must use circle swimming method (see diagram in pool area).
- VRWC Management reserves the right to ask any patron to leave for non-compliance with the above policies.
- If VRWC staff hears thunder, sees lightning, or is notified of a lightning warning: the pool is immediately cleared and closed. Pool access is suspended for 30 mins after the last observation of lightning/thunder. The VRWC staff monitors the 30 min window. Each time lightning/thunder are heard or seen, the 30 mins restarts. After 30 mins free of lightning/thunder, the VRWC staff will reopen the pool.
- ONLY children under 4 years of age, of the opposite gender, may enter locker rooms and shower areas.
- Use of any Electronic Devices inside the locker room are STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- Lockers located in the locker room are for day use only. Overnight use is not allowed.
- Lockers in corridor are for rental use only.
- Day use combo lock is available at equipment services for. $.50 (non-refundable rental). Day use combo locks are for locker room lockers only.
- The VRWC is not responsible for items left in lockers when locks are removed.