Apply Now | Eligibility and Process | TIPs Council & Review Panels
Key Dates | TIPs Awards | VU BreakThru (Blog) | Funding Guidelines
Trans-Institutional Programs (TIPs) are a centerpiece of the Academic Strategic Plan. The program is designed to serve as a catalyst to support new ideas, cutting-edge research and the development of infrastructure by supporting emerging and existing trans-institutional centers and institutes. The awards are meant to support organizations that facilitate research and teaching collaborations across disciplines, aim to address topics of critical academic and societal interest, embrace discovery and spark learning to position Vanderbilt as a world leader in a given area. This program is open to all VU and VUMC-employed faculty.
- Small-scale or new initiatives that showcase potential to become a major hub of activity - center or institute - that will advance the core missions of Vanderbilt
- Provide seed funding up to $100,000 per year.
- Provide faculty the opportunity to pursue innovative ideas for discovery and learning with colleagues from diverse disciplines.
- Must include collaborators from multiple schools and colleges.*
- Should not include the word 'center' in the title. May include words such as program, initiative, etc.
- For more information on Vanderbilt Initiative Awards, please click HERE.
- Awarded to existing centers and institutes that facilitate learning collaborations across campus.
- Assist collaborations taking a critical next step in order to ensure continued success.
- Funding varies on a case-by-case basis.
- Must secure partnerships with respective deans as part of the full-proposal submission process.
- For more information on Vanderbilt Reinvestment Awards, please click HERE.
- All full-time faculty are eligible. Tenure-track and non-tenure track faculty must obtain approval from their dean. The lead organizer must also demonstrate a past commitment to advancing collaborative endeavors.
- Other participants in the proposal must be full-time faculty devoted to discovery and learning.
- Proposals must involve faculty from at least two Vanderbilt schools and colleges. * Exceptions can be made if an intra-college proposal demonstrates a truly interdisciplinary approach.
- Proposals should seek to establish or invest in organizations that support addressing topics of critical academic and societal interest and advance Vanderbilt's commitment to inclusive excellence.
- For a full list of eligibility and process requirements, please click HERE.
- To learn more about TIPs, or to ask a specific question about the program, please contact TIPS@vanderbilt.edu.
- Pre-proposals due: Oct. 30, 2017
- Full proposals due: Jan. 22, 2018
- Award announcements: Spring 2018
- Funds available: July 1, 2018