Apply Now | Eligibility and Process | Categories of Support | Committee
Sample of Previously Awarded Projects | Key Dates | VU BreakThru (Bl0g)
The Research Scholar Grant program provides funding for innovative scholarship and creative expression projects that are unlikely to have extramural funding options available. These awards support humanistic research and efforts that result in the creation of artistic or humanist bodies of work. All full-time, VU-employed (Provost-reporting) faculty are eligible. Summary Document
- All full-time, VU-employed (Provost-reporting) faculty are eligible.
- Demonstrate potential to enhance the scholarly reputation of those involved.
- Advance the scholarly profile and visibility of Vanderbilt University.
- Faculty may submit up to two proposals, with no more than one proposal in any single category.
- Proposals involving graduate students are encouraged.
- Only full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty are eligible to submit proposals.
- Proposals may involve support from non-tenured faculty.
- Proposals that advance research in areas related to race, diversity and inclusivity are welcome.
- For a full list of eligibility and process requirements, please click HERE.
Awards are typically for one year, but the program will consider, on a case-by-case basis, requests for two consecutive years of funding in the Faculty Development category. Two-year awards will only be made in the most compelling cases.
Funding categories include:
- Faculty Development Grants provide funds for an individual investigator to carry out research, including disciplinary research.
- Research Scholar Fellowships provide partial salary support for a second semester of leave. To be eligible, a faculty member must have been granted two semesters of approved leave.
- Summer Stipends are awarded on a competitive basis to faculty who propose summer research of exceptional quality or promise.
- Lectures and/or Symposia.
- Undergraduate Research Supervision Grants.
For more information on each of the Categories of Support, please click HERE.
- Proposal window opens: Dec. 11 2017 (tentative)
- Proposals due: Feb. 12, 2018 (tentative)
- Award announcements: May 2018
- Funds available: July 1, 2018
Photo credit (photo 1):
Fototeka (Projection Still III), 2015
From “Fabrics of Socialism” series
Archival pigment print
16 x 24 inch
Photo credit (photo 2):
Fengguo Monastery, Mahāvīra Hall
Interior showing statuary altar, 1020 CE (Liao dynasty)
Yixian, Liaoning Province
Nixon D80 Direct Photograph
Sponsored by Vanderbilt University RSG, the NEH and the Graham Foundation