Individual Development Plan (IDP) Resources
The IDP is a valuable communication and planning tool that facilitates collaboration between postdocs and their PI/mentor.
- An initial IDP is required after one month of employment, due by the third month of employment to help set goals for the first year of your postdoc.
- A reappointment IDP is required yearly upon reappointment. This IDP should reflect on accomplishments from the past year, goal setting for the coming year, and long-term career goals.
- IDPs are automatically sent via email and should be completed through RedCap. Please reach out to OPA@vanderbilt.edu if you have any questions.
Benefits of the IDP
- Valuable communication and planning tool between you and your PI/mentor
- One component of a broader professional and mentoring strategy
- Opportunity to discuss long-term career goals and short-term objectives
(Please note: completing any outside IDP does not fulfill the requirements of a yearly IDP for your reappointment. All IDPs must be completed and submitted through RedCap.)
- myIDP – Provides many resources to make the most of completing your IDP
- ImaginePhD – A career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences
- The Versatile PhD – The Versatile PhD can help postdocs identify, prepare for and excel in professional careers. This can be accessed through Handshake on the Vanderbilt Career Center website.
- National Postdoc Association – Guide to Using an IDP
- Vanderbilt University Human Resources – Feed Forward IDP