The Residential Requirement for All Undergraduates
|Vanderbilt University is a residential campus for undergraduate students, and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education. This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the University’s residential requirement:
“All unmarried undergraduate students are required to live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and Summer sessions. Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus.” (Student Handbook)
By accepting a room assignment, a student is contractually obligated to occupy that room for the entire academic year, unless the student withdraws from the University, graduates, or participates in a Vanderbilt Overseas Program. Vacant spaces are subject to assignment by the Office of Housing and Residential Education.
Over 93% of our undergraduate students live in University housing on campus. The remaining 7% live off campus either because they are living with their parents in Davidson County or because we do not have room for them on campus. When we do not have enough room for all students on campus, requests for authorization to live off campus are considered on a seniority basis.
Alison Matarese, Director of Housing Assignments, is responsible for the assignment of on-campus housing, off-campus authorizations, and Greek chapter house authorizations, and all special housing requests.
By accepting a room assignment, a student is contractually obligated to that room for the entire academic year, unless he or she withdraws from the University, graduates, or participates in a Vanderbilt Overseas Program.