Skip to main content

Spring 2018 Information for Returning Upperclass Students

General Information:

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus, and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education.  This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the University’s residential requirement:

“All unmarried undergraduate students must live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and summer sessions.  Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus.”  (2017/2018 Student Handbook)

The spring housing application will be available online in the Student Housing Portal beginning November 1, 2017.

Students will be able to indicate housing preferences and make roommate or hallmate requests on the spring housing application.  A maximum of three (3) roommate or hallmate requests can be made, and only mutual requests will be considered.  Roommate and hallmate requests are not guaranteed.

Living Learning Communities (LLC’s):

Students who would like to be considered for admission to the McTyeire International House and/or the McGill Project must:

  1. Complete the spring housing application online; and,
  2. Submit a completed McTyeire and/or McGill application. Students may download the McTyeire application(s) here. McGill applications are available here.

McTyeire applications should be submitted by November 17, 2017 at 4:30PM CST.  McGill applications should be submitted by November 30, 2017 at 4:30PM CST.

Requests for Off-Campus Authorization:

Returning seniors graduating in May 2018 may request authorization to live off-campus.  These students must first submit a spring housing application.  Only those seniors who will graduate in May 2018 will be eligible to apply for authorization to live off-campus.  For eligible students, the off-campus application will be available in the Student Housing Portal.  In order to be considered for off-campus authorization, students must complete both the spring housing application and the off-campus housing application.  Failure to submit both applications will result in the cancelation of the off-campus housing application.  Please note that requests for off-campus authorization may be denied.  Please do not assume that requests for off-campus authorization will be granted.  Off-campus authorization decisions will be announced on December 15, 2017.  Students who have been denied off-campus authorization will be assigned to available spaces on campus.  Students seeking off-campus authorization should not make off-campus arrangements (placing a deposit, signing a lease, etc.) until they have received formal authorization from the Director of Housing Assignments to reside off-campus.

Please note that students whose applications are received after November 30, 2017 may not be billed for housing until January 2018.  Under no circumstances, should students or their families interpret the absence of a housing charge on the December statement to indicate that the student has been granted off-campus authorization.

Requests for Reasonable Accommodation:

Any student seeking reasonable accommodation in the spring 2018 housing assignment process due to a documented medical, psychological or disability impairment should contact the Office of Student Access Services (SAS).  Additional information can be found here.  All requests for reasonable accommodation for spring 2018 housing must be submitted by November 30, 2017.

Residence Hall Opening Information:

All upperclass residence halls will open at 12PM noon on Friday, January 5, 2018.  Opening time is not negotiable so we encourage you and your student to plan accordingly.  Spring 2018 residents should report to the Branscomb front desk for key pick up.

Upcoming Events