2021-2022 Head Resident Position Description
*Updated April 28, 2021
The Head Resident (HR) is a senior Resident Adviser for the Office of Housing and Residential Experience. HRs assume responsibility for fostering an environment where all students feel supported in pursuing their academic and personal development. HRs work closely with Area Coordinators, Graduate Area Coordinators, Residential Faculty, and Campus Partners to envision and create a premier residential experience where students can learn and grow. HRs host educational and social events, provide peer leadership to RAs, and serve as a resource to students in their areas. Peer leadership is a critical and trusted part of a team – it is necessary to executive various responsibilities to ensure staff teams function efficiently and effectively. The position requires dedication, flexibility, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Must be a full-time, undergraduate, degree-seeking student with at least second-year student status at Vanderbilt University by the application deadline
- Must have at least one semester of living in an on-campus, residential community at Vanderbilt University
- Must have at least one semester of Resident Adviser service at Vanderbilt University
- Must have a cumulative 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) by the end of Spring 2021
- Must have a United States Bank Account for direct deposit enrollment to receive payment as required by Vanderbilt University.
- Must be in good standing according to the Vanderbilt University Student Handbook
- Maintain all qualifications throughout the appointment period
- Compliance with all aspects of the Head Resident position description
Head Resident Recruitment Process Key Dates:
- Application Opens: Monday, February 1
- Application Closes: Sunday, February 7 at 11:59 PM CST
- Video Individual Interview Submissions Period: Monday, February 1 to Sunday, February 7 at 11:59 PM CST
- Virtual HR Candidate Presentations: Wednesday, February 17 to Friday, February 19
- Notice of HR and Returning RA Status: March 2021 at the earliest due to soon-to-be determined elements relating to the 2021-2022 academic year. We will update this section and provide an update to candidates once the university announces forthcoming details for the upcoming academic year and a undergraduate housing plan is set.
- Monday, April 26 at 7 PM: 2021-2022 Team Meet-Up 7 PM to 8 PM. All incoming staff should attend the 2020-2021 OHARE Team Meet-Up via Zoom.
- Saturday, August 7 at 9 AM : OHARE Student Staff Earliest Possible Move-In Day. All OHARE Student Staff will be able to move in their assigned spaces.
- Tuesday, August 10 at 5 PM: Fall Training and Move-In Operations. RAs must arrive to campus for OHARE Student Staff Training through Campus Move-In Operations ending August 24.
- Thursday, October 14 – Friday, October 15: Fall Break. Staff members should make plans for Fall Break after establishing their area duty schedule as halls remain open.
- Saturday, November 20 – Sunday, November 28: Fall Health & Safety Checks/Thanksgiving Break Break begins after closing the residence halls. Flight arrangements should occur only after 3 PM on closing day.
- Sunday, December 19: Winter Break Closing Break begins after closing the residence halls. Flight arrangements should occur only after 3 PM on closing day.
***Prior permission must be obtained in advance from your supervisor to deviate from any of the above. Alternative Break Participants must receive permission from their supervisor prior to making trip commitment.
- 7 PM-9 PM time block on Tuesday evenings: All area staff meetings will occur within these times. This time block is also set aside to allow us to provide development opportunities throughout the Academic Year.
- We will publish the required dates for the Spring 2022 semester after the Office of the University Registrar publishes details of the academic calendar. If we learn of the Spring 2022 dates during the summer or the Fall 2021 semester, we will provide the team with the ability to withdraw from the role for the Spring 2022 semester.
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the role may affect you specifically.
- Student staff members will receive a single-occupancy space within their assigned community. If you are assigned to a community with suites or apartments, this means a single-occupancy space within those community types.
- The compensation rate is approximately $595 paid monthly at the end of each month worked for nine months, beginning in the middle of August through the middle of May. Note that both August and May will each be partial-month payments.
The Office of Housing & Residential Experience reserves the right to change required dates, employment responsibilities, and compensation based on departmental and university operation changes. OHARE will provide notice to the 2021-2022 Student Staff Team of those changes and options available to them should they exist.
The Office of Housing & Residential Experience will work to make appropriate changes to the responsibilities below to align with the very guidelines provided by Vanderbilt University.
Email Assistant Director for Selection and Training, Michael Jones, at email@example.com. Please allow for 48 business hours for a response. The application period is now closed. Please check back October 2021 for the application process for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
Email Assistant Director for Selection and Training, Michael Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow for 48 business hours for a response.
The application period is now closed. Please check back October 2021 for the application process for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.