Skip to main content

Reserve a Student Checkout Card & Manage Finances

Student Checkout Cards

To Reserve a Student Checkout Card:

  1. Fill out a Student Checkout Card request form online. Submit a request to check out a Student Checkout Card here. If your organization is not listed on the drop down menu, contact your advisor. 
  2. OACS staff will communicate to set up a time for you to pick up the Student Checkout Card. Your reservation is not confirmed until you receive approval from your advisor.
  3. Fill out the Student Checkout Card Agreement and turn it in to OACS when you pick up the card.
  4. Be sure to indicate that Vanderbilt has tax exempt status when you make your purchases, and save all receipts.
  5. Return Student Checkout Card and receipts to the OACS office within 24 hours of check-out.

Please Note:

  • Student Checkout Cards are credit cards. They can be used for in-store purchases made on behalf of a registered student organization.
  • OACS Checkout cards cannot be used for online purchases, or for purchasing custom items like T-shirts.
    • To place an online order, please contact your advisor for assistance
    • To purchase custom items like T-shirts, please see the “T-shirt and Other Custom Item Orders” section below
  • Please request well in advance. Checkout are reserved on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Please note that any failure to abide by Vanderbilt’s Student Checkout Card policies will result in a loss of Student Checkout Card privileges. If you have a question about a policy, don’t hesitate to contact your advisor.
  • If possible, try to reserve the Checkout Card one week in advance. There is always high demand for Student Checkout Cards, especially around busy times of the semester.
  • Expenses will be allocated to your organization’s account. Please allow for up to four weeks to see the charge post in the Finance section of your student organization’s Anchorlink page.

Oracle COA/POET String

When making payments to university entities (e.g., Reservations and Events, Traffic and Parking, Campus Copy) on behalf of your student organization you may be asked for your organization’s COA string or task number.

Building an Account String

The COA string is made by combining the following numbers. These numbers apply to all registered student organization charges:

  • Entity: 300
  • NetAssetClass: 10
  • Financial Unit: 30500
  • Account: XXXX (this number is determined by the category of the expense – office supplies, food, etc.)
  • Program: 071
  • Activity: 000
  • Interentity: 000
  • Future 1: 0
  • Future 2: 0

The resulting COA string would be: 300.10.30500.XXXX.

Project and Task Numbers

There are situations when you will need to know the Project Number and Task Number of your organization, including when you are processing a reimbursement. All non-Greek Registered Student Organizations use the same Project Number (listed below). Each RSO has a five- or six-digit unique Task Number, which is how charges are allocated to your organization’s account. The Task Number can be found under the Finance tab of your organization’s Anchorlink page (look in the upper left-hand corner after you click the Account link).

  • Project Number: SO_280200 (this applies to all registered student organization charges – charges for other departments, including Greek Life, will have a different Project Number)
  • Task Number: Unique to your organization
  • Expenditure Organization: 30500 (this applies to all registered student organization charges)


  • OACS Deposit Sheets must be filled out for all deposits to your student organization task number (task number can be found in the Finance tab of your Anchorlink page).
  • Only cash, checks, and money orders are acceptable as deposits (make checks and money orders out to Vanderbilt University with your organization in the memo line).
  • You will need to itemize all cash, coins, and checks – the deposit sheet allows for this itemization.
  • We recommend that you save or print a copy of the deposit sheet for your records.
  • Submit all cash/checks along with a completed deposit excel sheet to Mark Leners in 351 Sarratt before 4:00 PM.
  • If collecting deposits after hours make a plan to keep the deposits under two locks (e.g., lock box and locked in a drawer) until the next business day and then bring the deposits to Mark Leners as soon as possible.

Donations and Charitable Contributions

If your organization would like to donate funds to a non-profit organization, please complete the Charitable Contribution Processing Form for Organizations Advised by OACS on the OACS Anchorink page.

You can find the Charitable Contribution Processing Form here.

The form will require that you submit:

  • Completed Charitable Contribution Form
  • W-9 form on version 2018 or later for the organization receiving the donation (a W-9 form looks like this)
  • An invoice or other documentation (e.g., email thread, letter of commitment) indicating the amount of and need for the contribution
  • Contact information for the person responsible for receiving the funds at the organization (name, phone number, email address, physical address)

Your advisor will then submit a requisition for a Non-PO payment through the Oracle system, and the organization receiving the funds will receive the payment via digital transfer.

T-shirt and Other Custom Item Orders

  1. Submit a Merchandise Order Request (MOR) Form
  2. Request a quote from an approved vendor
  3. Email the following information to your advisor:
    1. MOR# that you receive after submitting the MOR form
    2. Quote from the vendor (usually a PDF file)
    3. Student Organization Task Number
  4. Advisor submits a requisition for the purchase
  5. If the requisition is approved, the order is given a PO number the PO number is sent to the vendor
  6. The vendor then sends an invoice to to be paid


Students who purchase items on behalf of their organizations may be reimbursed for their purchase if their group has funding available in its account. Each student will be responsible for completing their own expense report in SkyVU (Oracle).

Click here for a video tutorial about how to submit a reimbursement

(from the Office of Student Organizations website)

Helpful tips:

  • If the student needing reimbursement is unable to login to SkyVU, they will need to complete the Student Request for Access Form available on the Office of Student Organizations website and submit it to Sarratt 310.
  • If the student needing reimbursement is able to login to SkyVU but does not see the Expenses module (a green wallet icon), then they need to request access to that module. Click here to learn how to request access to the Expenses module.
  • Students submitting a reimbursement request will need documentation of approval (e.g., email, signed note on university letterhead) from a student org leader for their request to be approved that includes:
    • Student organization name
    • Student organization project and task number
    • Amount approved to be charged from the organization’s account
    • Reason for approval
    • Name and organization role of the person approving the charge to be drawn from the organization’s account

Tax Exemption

Vanderbilt University is exempt from sales tax on purchases being shipped to and being used or consumed in furtherance of Vanderbilt’s exempt mission in the states listed in the State Sales Tax Exemption Listings.

Click here to access links to tax exempt certificates for all states that require one. A VU net ID and password are required to access the page.