2021-22 Daily Parking Program
Read here for an important update on West Garage.
Vanderbilt will offer an expanded daily parking program for approximately 1,600 faculty, staff, postdocs and graduate and professional students this fall. Participants will pay to park only on days they drive a vehicle to campus. Those selected for the program will have access to park in the Terrace Place, Wesley Place and Sony garages, as well as the West Garage—which is being added to the daily parking program. Only daily parking participants will be able to access daily parking facilities.
Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, postdocs and graduate and professional students are eligible for the daily parking program.
Please note the following:
- Adjunct faculty are not eligible unless on salaried payroll; when completing the application, please indicate you are Adjunct Faculty, and we will follow up with the Payroll team to confirm eligibility.
- Undergraduate students are not eligible for the program.
- Employees with payroll or benefits through Vanderbilt University Medical Center are also not eligible for the program.
Application and Selection Process
- Jul. 23: Eligible Vanderbilt University community members must complete the 2021-22 Daily Parking Program Application by Jul. 23 for consideration for the daily parking program. Participants will be selected based on garage preference, overall demand for the program and equity factors that ensure the program is available for a range of community members.
- Aug. 6: You will be notified via e-mail by Aug. 6 if you are enrolled in daily parking and receive information on creating your MoveVU Commute Hub account.
- Sept. 1: Daily parking for the 2021–22 academic year starts Sept. 1.
Depending on demand for the program, individuals who are not initially accepted into the daily parking program due to capacity constraints will be placed on a waiting list. You will be notified if you are placed on the waiting list, as well as if a space becomes available for you in the program in the future. Individuals that apply Aug. 2 or later will automatically be placed on the waiting list. Any new individuals admitted into the program after Sept. 1 will be able to start parking on the first of the next month after they receive notification of enrollment.
Rates and Incentives
Daily Parking Rates
- Terrace Place Garage and West Garage – $3.50 per day
- Wesley Place Garage and Sony Garage – $5 per day
Parking events will automatically be logged in the MoveVU Commute Hub tool when individuals tap their Vanderbilt ID card to access one of the daily parking facilities. When you tap your Vanderbilt ID card at the card reader, the reader turns green, the gate opens, and your parking event automatically logs in your Commute Calendar. You can park in any of the daily parking facilities and are only charged once per day (regardless of entries in multiple garages in one day).
The $3.50 daily parking rate for the Terrace Place and West garages is based on the typical university average number of days (14 days) that people are on campus in a given month (pre-COVID-19) and ability to take a sustainable commute option one to two days per week. This is comparable to the monthly parking charge for individuals with Band 1 salaries. The Wesley Place and Sony garages have a higher daily parking rate of $5 given the higher demand for these garages.
Individuals enrolled in the daily parking program who take sustainable commutes to campus will earn a $0.50 daily incentive each time they choose a sustainable commute up to a total of $10 per month, assuming a 20-day work month. Eligible sustainable commutes include walking, biking, transit (bus and commuter rail), carpooling and vanpooling.
In order to verify sustainable commutes for accounting and auditing purposes, please ensure that your sustainable commute is accurately reflected in the MoveVU Commute Hub calendar each day you take a sustainable commute to campus. Changes cannot be made after a reporting period closes. Sustainable commute incentives cannot be earned on holidays and weekends, but you are encouraged to log those trips too to gain an accurate depiction of your commuting habits.
The following sustainable commute options can be logged in the Commute Calendar:
- Walk: Strava and MapMyFitness are integrated with the MoveVU Commute Hub. Connect your account to the MoveVU Commute Hub, and start your walking trip at the beginning of your commute and end it once you reach campus. A walk trip will be automatically logged in the Commute Calendar.
- Bike: Strava and MapMyFitness are integrated with the MoveVU Commute Hub. Connect your account to the MoveVU Commute Hub and start your bicycling trip at the beginning of your commute and end it once you reach campus. A bike trip will be automatically logged in the Commute Calendar.
- Bus: Swipe your Vanderbilt ID card as payment on WeGo local and regional buses. You will need to manually log your bus trip afterwards in the Commute Calendar.
- Commuter Rail: If you ride the WeGo Star, show your Vanderbilt ID to the ticket officer when requested. You will need to manually log your commuter rail trip afterwards in the Commute Calendar.
- Carpool: If you are the driver, swipe your Vanderbilt ID card at the garage entrance. Modify your parking activity in the Commute Calendar as a “carpool trip” and tag your rider(s), so that the parking charge can be split accordingly. If you are the rider, the driver must tag you as a rider and you must accept to split the charge.
- Vanpool: Before logging your vanpool trip, please ensure that your vanpool group is registered on the MoveVU Commute Hub, and that you are listed as a member of that vanpool.
How Parking Charges and Commute Incentives are Processed
Parking charges and commute incentives will be recorded in the MoveVU Commute Hub and will be processed in the following manner:
- Faculty and Staff: Faculty and staff parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited consistent with current parking payroll deductions: monthly employees – reflected on monthly check; weekly and biweekly employees – reflected on second check. Please note that charges and incentives are one month behind.
- Postdocs: Please note that parking charges and commute incentives are processed differently for Postdoc Scholars & Postdoc Non-Exempt individuals and Postdoc Trainees. Charges and incentives are one month behind.
- Postdoc Scholars and Postdoc Non-Exempt: Postdoc Scholar and Non-Exempt parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited consistent with current parking payroll deductions: monthly employees – reflected on monthly check; weekly and biweekly employees – reflected on second check.
- Postdoc Trainees: Postdoc Trainees load funds onto their Commodore Cash account to pay for parking charges. The suggested amount per month is $60. Parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited within the Commodore Cash account. Negative account balances will receive a warning e-mail before access to daily parking garages is turned off. An account must be paid in full before departure from Vanderbilt.
- Graduate and Professional Students: Graduate and professional students load funds onto their Commodore Cash account to pay for parking charges. The suggested amount per month is $60. Parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited within the Commodore Cash account. Negative account balances will receive a warning e-mail before access to daily parking garages is turned off. An account must be paid in full before departure from Vanderbilt. Please note that charges and incentives are one week behind.
Please note the following:
- All community members can monitor charges and incentives through the Commute Calendar at any time. Any parking appeals will need to be resolved before the end of your pay period.
- Upon termination of employment with Vanderbilt University, a departing employee* must request in writing (an email is acceptable) a refund of any earned credit amount by contacting Human Resources within thirty (30) calendar days of the employment separation date. After thirty (30) days, all unclaimed credits shall be irrevocably waived and forfeited. *Employees include faculty, staff, postdoc scholars and non-exempt postdocs.
- Incentive awards may be subject to Federal income tax. Each participant is responsible for reporting and paying any tax due on the incentive awards. Please consult your tax advisor for guidance and more information.