Spotlighting Service Members
News, Profiles and Features
Veterans Day Events | Nov. 11
Library Lawn | Noon to 5 p.m.
- The Army Medical Department will set up a demonstration version of a forward surgical team on Library Lawn staffed with Army medicine staff for students to interact with. Noon to 5 p.m. on Library Lawn.
Screening of American Medevac
Central Library Community Room | 5 to 6 p.m.
- The Department of Army Officer Education and the Vanderbilt Television News Archive are bringing acclaimed journalist Morton Dean to campus and screening his documentary American Medevac, which explores the lives of Army medical personnel during and after the Vietnam War highlighting their unique roles and sacrifices. The event is open to all members of the Vanderbilt community.
Panel Discussion on American Medevac
Central Library Community Room | 6 to 7 p.m.
- Following the film screening, there will be a panel discussion led by Brandon Hulette, faculty member and Army Reserve medical department officer, whose first assignment was as a field medical officer with the 429th MEDEVAC Battalion, Fort Stewart, Georgia. Panelists joining Dean and Hulette will include an Army flight surgeon, an Army physician assistant, a Vietnam-era Medevac pilot, and the former historian of the Army Medical Department, among others. A reception will follow the program.
Other Vanderbilt Events Related to Veterans Day
Salute to Service football game, Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky
Vanderbilt Stadium | Nov. 16
- Join the Commodores as they host their annual Salute to Service game to recognize active duty service members, veterans and first responders. Vanderbilt Athletics is excited to continue its Commodore Giving campaign for the upcoming football season. As part of the annual Salute to Service game versus Kentucky on Nov. 16, fans can purchase tickets to be donated to Vet Tix, which provides tickets to active service members and veterans of all branches. For every four tickets you purchase to be donated, you will receive a free hat. To purchase, please click here or call the Vanderbilt Ticket Office at 615-322-GOLD (M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
- As part of the Salute to Service Football game, Barnes & Noble will host a pop-up shop in Vandyville featuring Operation Hat Trick items.