Declaring a MHS Major/Minor
Students may declare a major in MHS, after their freshmen year, using the Declaration of Major form. A minor can be declared using the same form. Please fill out the form and bring it to the administrative staff in the MHS Suite – 300 Calhoun Hall *(The MHS Suite is CLOSED for the duration of the semester. Email completed forms to our administrative staff at firstname.lastname@example.org)* The admin will assign you an adviser and sign the form on the adviser’s behalf. You do not have to get a signature from the DUS or a faculty member.
You must also declare your concentration. You can always change your concentration, with your adviser’s approval, later down the line.
Please choose from one of the following MHS concentrations:
- Global health: emphasizes social and political determinants of global health disparities, history of global public health concepts and practices, relationship between culture and health, various health systems.
- Health policies and economies: emphasizes the economic, legal, and political dimensions of health.
- Health behaviors and health sciences: emphasizes biological and social foundations of health.
- Inequality, intersectionality, and health justice: emphasizes how diverse structures of inequality intersect and shape health disparities; and considers the role of social justice movements in reducing inequities.
- Medicine, humanities and the arts: emphasizes critical inquiry of our most basic ideas about health and medicine.
- Critical Health Studies: Students choosing this concentration must propose a set of four courses (12 credit hours) that form a coherent program of study related to critical health studies and receive approval from the director of undergraduate studies.