Home » Notes » Missed Opportunity: Congress’s Attempted Response to the World’s Demand for the Violence Against Women Act

Missed Opportunity: Congress’s Attempted Response to the World’s Demand for the Violence Against Women Act

PDF · Brenton T. Culpepper · Jul-6-2012 · 43 VAND. J. TRANSNAT'L L. 733 (2010)

The Supreme Court’s decision in U.S. v. Morrison struck down, as a violation of the Commerce Clause, § 13,981 of the Violence Against Women Act, that provided a private right of action for victims of gender-motivated violence to assert against their abusers.  However, § 13,981 should have been affirmed as implementing legislation designed to fulfill U.S. obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and customary international law.  Recognizing § 13,981 as implementing legislation serves as a foundation for the United States to restore itself as a legitimate human rights leader capable of both appreciating its own international obligations and pressuring other nations to come into compliance with international human rights obligations.  Furthermore, only through setting a precedent recognizing broad Congressional authority to pass implementing legislation would there be a structure in place for Congress to devote itself to domesticating the legal obligations present in non-self-executing human rights treaties.

10 Responses to “Missed Opportunity: Congress’s Attempted Response to the World’s Demand for the Violence Against Women Act”

1. I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, The web site style is
    perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

posted on January 19th, 2016 at 5:40 am
  2. hello!,I really like your writing very so much! share we keep in touch more approximately
    your post on AOL? I require an expert on this area to resolve my
    problem. May be that’s you! Having a look forward
    to see you.

posted on February 3rd, 2017 at 3:26 pm
  3. Usually I don’t learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it!

Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, quite nice post.

posted on February 7th, 2017 at 9:05 am
  4. I believe what you said was actually very reasonable.
    However, what about this? what if you added a little content?
    I am not suggesting your information is not good., but what if you added a title that grabbed a person’s
    attention? I mean Missed Opportunity: Congress_s Attempted Response to
    the World_s Demand for the Violence Against Women Act | Journal of Transnational Law | Vanderbilt University is kinda plain. You might peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create article titles to grab viewers interested.
    You might try adding a video or a pic or two to get readers interested about
    everything’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your website a little bit
    more interesting.

posted on February 8th, 2017 at 5:33 am
  5. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this fantastic blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward
    to new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

posted on February 19th, 2017 at 3:55 pm
  6. There’s definately a great deal to know about this
    topic. I love all the points you’ve made.

posted on May 1st, 2017 at 2:55 am
  7. ᕼaving read this I beⅼieved it was гeally informative.
    I appгeciate yoᥙ taking the time and effort to put thіs informatіon toǥether.
    I once again fіnd mүѕelf spending a lot օf tjme both reading
    аnd commenting. Bսt so what, itt wаs stiⅼl worthwhile!

posted on May 10th, 2017 at 1:26 am
  8. TҺis piece ߋf writing prеsents clеɑr idea fоr thе new visitors of blogging, that rеally how to do running a blog.

posted on May 14th, 2017 at 6:16 pm
  9. Terrific post һowever Ⅰ was wanting to know if уoᥙ ϲould write a litte mⲟre on thіs subject?
    I’d bᥱ vеry thankful if you could elaborate ɑ little bіt further.
    Cheers!

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  10. Whɑt’s up to every body, іt’s mʏ fіrst pay a visit of this web site; this web site contains
    awesom and really gopd stuff in support of ѵisitoгs.

posted on May 25th, 2017 at 4:35 am