Home » Notes » Promises of Leniency: Whether Companies Should Self-Disclose Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act

Promises of Leniency: Whether Companies Should Self-Disclose Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act

PDF · Sarah Marberg · Jun-8-2012 · 45 VAND. J. TRANSNAT'L L. 557 (2012)

Over the last ten years, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has prosecuted an increasing number of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, imposing larger and larger penalties. In fiscal year 2010, the Criminal Division of the DOJ imposed $1 billion in penalties as a result of violations of the FCPA, the largest in FCPA enforcement history.

Most FCPA enforcement actions are brought against corporations for conduct that American law enforcement agencies have difficulty detecting because it occurs outside of the United States. As a result, the DOJ encourages companies to voluntarily disclose FCPA violations, claiming that it will take a more lenient approach to FCPA prosecutions that are self-reported and reward “disclosure and genuine cooperation.”

Despite these promises, practitioners and academics have questioned whether a company that voluntarily discloses a potential FCPA violation actually receives a lesser fine than a company whose illegal conduct is discovered by a government investigation. With the likelihood of detection by the DOJ very low and the costs of disclosure very high, these questions have led to suggestions that companies are better off keeping mum. This Note argues that the available evidence about previous FCPA settlements suggests that companies are likely rewarded for their candor and cooperation.

8 Responses to “Promises of Leniency: Whether Companies Should Self-Disclose Violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act”

1. Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during
    lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, wonderful
    blog!

posted on January 20th, 2016 at 12:03 am
  2. I rread this article completely concerning the difference of hottest
    and earlier technologies, it’s awesome article.

posted on January 21st, 2016 at 7:01 pm
  3. Hurrah! At last I got a webage from where I can genuinely take helpful facts regarding my study and knowledge.

posted on January 21st, 2016 at 8:03 pm
  4. I like what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve you guys
    to my blogroll.

posted on January 24th, 2016 at 5:38 am
  5. It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a web page,
    which is useful in favor of my knowledge. thanks admin

posted on January 28th, 2017 at 11:38 pm
  6. When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user
    can understand it. Thus that’s why this article
    is amazing. Thanks!

posted on February 28th, 2017 at 8:17 am
  7. Hello, after reading this remarkable piece of writing i am as well happy to share my familiarity here with friends.

posted on August 2nd, 2017 at 6:16 pm
  8. What’s up to every , for the reason that I
    am really keen of reading this weblog’s post to be updated daily.
    It contains nice stuff.

posted on August 8th, 2017 at 6:57 pm