Spring 2021 Orientation
International Student and Scholar Services welcomes you to Vanderbilt! All students on an F or a J visa must attend both a SEVIS check-in session and a session on maintaining your status. More information about both is listed below.
Upon arrival to Vanderbilt, all incoming international students (including students returning from a leave of absence) must complete a mandatory SEVIS check-in with ISSS. This process collects copies of your F-1 or J-1 status documents and provides the information ISSS needs to report your arrival in SEVIS. Check-in is mandatory. You must also check-in before you will be able to apply for a driver’s license or social security number, and before you can complete the I-9 process (required for on-campus employment).
Check-in sessions will take place virtually throughout the month of January. Sessions are 30-minutes long and held virtually over Zoom.
To schedule a check-in session, please click here. After you sign-up for a session, you will receive an email confirming your appointment, as well as the link to the Zoom meeting.
All incoming international students who are attending Vanderbilt for the first time must attend orientation. More information, including dates and times, will be provided in the coming weeks.
- Undergraduate students should contact email@example.com with questions related to Move-In and other mandatory orientation programming.
- Graduate and professional students should contact their program directly.
- To support you in your transition to Vanderbilt and to Nashville, we are also offering some optional sessions on a variety of topics helpful for new students. These sessions are open to graduate and professional students, whether they are studying remotely or in-person. Please click here to view the schedule of sessions and register for the ones you want to attend.
Maintenance of Status and Employment Session
Incoming students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are also required to attend a session on maintenance of status and employment. This session will go over important information about your visa, status maintenance, and employment options.
All incoming students must sign up for and attend a session. Sessions will be offered at the following times:
- Graduate and Professional students: Tuesday, January 19th, from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Undergraduate students: Wednesday, January 20th, from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Sessions will be held virtually. After you sign up, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to access the meeting. A registration link will be available soon.