Fall 2020 International Student Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to Vanderbilt University! All incoming students who will be studying on an F-1 or J-1 student visa are required to complete a SEVIS check-in with ISSS and attend a mandatory orientation.
Additional details will be posted throughout the summer. Please check back regularly for updates.
Upon arrival to Vanderbilt, all incoming international students (including students returning from a leave of absence) must complete a mandatory SEVIS check-in with ISSS. This process collects copies of your F-1 or J-1 status documents and the information ISSS needs to report your arrival in SEVIS. Check-in is mandatory. You must also check-in before you will be able to apply for a driver’s license or social security number, and before you can complete the I-9 process (required for on-campus employment).
SEVIS check-in sessions will be held through the month of August. Sessions are held virtually over Zoom and last 30 minutes.
Click here to sign up for a SEVIS check-in session. After you sign-up for a session, you will receive an email confirming your appointment, as well as the link to the Zoom meeting.
All incoming international students who are attending Vanderbilt for the first time must attend orientation. More information, including dates and times, will be provided in the coming weeks.
- Undergraduate students will participate in a mandatory orientation through CommonVU. If you have questions about this orientation, please contact email@example.com.
- Graduate and professional students will have an orientation directly with their academic program. For more information, please contact your program directly.
- To support you in your transition to Vanderbilt and to Nashville, we are also offering some optional sessions on a variety of topics helpful for new students. These sessions are open to graduate and professional students, whether they are studying remotely or in-person. Please click here to view the schedule of sessions and register for the ones you want to attend.
Maintenance of Status and Employment Session
Incoming students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are also required to attend a session on maintenance of status and employment. This session will go over important information about your visa, status maintenance, and employment options.
All incoming students must sign up for and attend a session. Sessions will be offered at the following times:
- Saturday, August 22nd: 3:00pm – 4:30pm
- Saturday, August 29th: 3:00pm – 4:30pm
- Friday, September 4th: 5:00pm – 6:30pm
Graduate and Professional Students
- Saturday, August 22nd: 12:00pm – 1:30pm
- Saturday, August 29th: 12:00pm – 1:30pm
- Wednesday, September 2nd: 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Sessions will be held virtually. Click here to sign up for a session. After you sign up, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to access the meeting.