Mandatory Immigration Check-In
Immigration Check-In Requirements
What is Mandatory Immigration Check-In?
Upon arrival to Vanderbilt, all new international students and scholars must complete a mandatory Immigration Check-in. This process collects copies of your F-1 or J-1 status documents and the information ISSS needs to report your arrival in SEVIS. The steps below outline the Immigration Check-in process.
Students will need their VUnet ID and password to successfully complete the Immigration Check-in process. Please be sure to activate your VUnet ID before getting started with the document upload process and before attending a session.
Step 1: Begin uploading required immigration documents by completing the New Student/Scholar Document Upload form on the ISSS portal. You will need your VUnet ID for this step. Plan to do this before your assigned Immigration Check-in time. You will need the information listed below and an electronic copy of the documents listed below to complete this step. (If you are not able to upload your documents in advance, bring the documents and information with you to the check-in session.)
- Your Vanderbilt I-20 (for F-visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-visa holders) used to enter the US
- Current passport and valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp (or entry stamp for Canadian citizens)
- A printed or electronic copy of your most recent I-94 record. (NOTE: This record will not be created until you have entered the US. Within 24 hours of your entry, you can retrieve your electronic I-94 online from the Customs and Border Patrol website. You will need your passport information.)
- Your local address in Nashville and a US phone number (You will update this information through the YES)
- Name and contact information (phone number and email) of a designated emergency contact
- Documents for any dependents that will enter the US with you (passport, visa stamp, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 record)
- Dependents can be legally recognized spouses or children (unmarried and under the age of 21) who will be joining you
Step 2A: If you are attending your designated orientation dates with ISSS, Immigration Check-In will be included in your schedule for the day and you will be assigned a check-in time. No further signup is needed.
Step 2B: If you arriving BEFORE or AFTER your designated orientation dates, then you must register for and attend a separate Immigration Check-In session with ISSS.
View the Immigration Check-In Schedule and sign up to attend an Immigration Check-In Session. All Immigration Check-In Locations are in Wilson Hall Lab 120. You will also need to attend a make-up Maintenance of F or J Status session with ISSS. Make-up session dates are as follows:
- August 21: 11:15-12:15 in Wilson Hall 126
- August 30: 5-6 pm in Wilson Hall 126
NOTE: If you decide not to attend Vanderbilt, you must return the I-20 or DS-2019 to ISSS immediately.
Immigration Check-In Hours for F-1/J-1 Students Only
Immigration Check-In is required during New International Student Orientation on the following days and is built into your schedule. No RSVP is required.
- For Graduate/Professional Students (not Law or Owen students): Monday, August 13th & Tuesday, August 14th
- For Undergraduate Students: Wednesday, August 15th
If you are arriving to campus BEFORE August 13th, you must attend an Immigration Check-in session during the following scheduled times. Please RSVP to reserve your spot.
- Immigration Check-In Schedule
- Reserve your spot here
- Note: You must sign up for your desired time. Immigration Check-In can last up to 2 hours. If you wee unable to upload your documents before your scheduled session, bring your status and identity documents with you (e.g. I-20/DS-2019, Passport, Visa, I-94 for you and for any dependents).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes to the set location before the scheduled session time.
- If you would like to walk with a staff member or student leader, please arrive at the ISSS Office in the Student Life Center, Suite 109, at least 15 minutes before the session time.
Department-specific check-in dates are only available to students in those programs.
- Law Students: Thursday and Friday, July 12-13th
- Owen Students: Monday, July 9th
If you are arriving to campus AFTER August 23, please sign up for an available time or schedule an appointment by emailing email@example.com.
Immigration Check-In Locations
All sessions will be held in Wilson Hall Lab 120: Located closest to 21st Ave., the physical address is: 111 21st Ave. S. It is located adjacent to the Kissam Center and Warren College.
View a campus map here.