Student Arrival Checklist
Within the first week of your arrival you should do the following things:
Monday – Friday 8:30-4:00
Tuesday until 7:00 pm
- Submit your Immunization Requirements Form to the Student Health Center if you haven’t already done so. The form is due to the Student Health Center by June 1, 2014. Click here for how to get to the Zerfoss Student Health Center.
- Health Insurance Waiver – Students with government sponsored health insurance (that meets the minimum requirements for international student insurance) should apply for a waiver. Waivers must be submitted online by September 7th for fall semester and January 6th for spring semester.
- Find a place to live (if you have not done so already)
- Open a bank account
- Set up the necessary utilities for your house (electricity, water, gas, etc.)
- Employment Information – only for student who receive payment from Vanderbilt
- Transportation (car, taxi, bus, bicycle, walking)
- Meet with any other Vanderbilt Staff as indicated in your correspondence with the University
- Register for classes through YES
- Attend International Student Orientation and Information Fair
Scholar Arrival Checklist
- Check-in with the hosting academic department.
- Come to ISSS for mandatory SEVIS Registration. *Bring passport and DS-2019. Also, be ready to provide a local address and phone number. ISSS needs copies of stamped travel documents for the scholar’s file.
- Get your Vanderbilt Identification Card. The University Card Office is located in Sarratt Student Center Room 184. VU Medical Center Card office is located in Medical Center North S-2311. *Bring your passport, DS-2019, and official invitation letter or offer letter from Vanderbilt. (Dependents can get a Vanderbilt Identification Card too for $10)
- Get VUNetID and Vanderbilt Email Account.
- Attend J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation at ISSS. Orientation is every Thursday at 1pm.
- Complete the J-1 Insurance Requirement Acknowledgement and Pledge form and return it to ISSS within two weeks of check in.
Additional Steps if Being Paid by Vanderbilt
- Apply for a Social Security Number. Bring your passport, DS-2019, and Vanderbilt offer letter to the Social Security Administration which is located at 120 Athens Way, Nashville, 37228. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 9am to 3pm. Wednesdays: 9am to 12pm. Closed Saturdays and Sundays.
- Request access to the GLACIER Tax Database
- Attend New Staff Orientation to learn about health insurance plans and benefits. You can learn more about this orientation at http://hr.vanderbilt.edu/training/newstafforientation.php
Additional Step if Not Being Paid by Vanderbilt
- Apply for a Placeholder Number (PHN). This number will be used in place of a Social Security Number to get a VUNetID and Vanderbilt email address. Once the application is approved, a placeholder number will be emailed to the administrator of the hosting academic department listed on the application for PHN.