GSN MONDAY MAILER SEPTEMBER 26 2016

Posted by on Saturday, October 8, 2016 in News, Uncategorized.

ALL,
Sorry for the three week hiatus in the mailer. Computer issues took me out of commission, but given the demands of my current life, I feel like it is time for me to hand over the reins to another scholar (or grad student!) who has about an hour or two weekly to take over the Mailer. When I first got involved with the GSN in the late 80's, the mailer was a print mailing that came out monthly and was an incredible resource for anyone looking for updates about the war and the devastation it visited upon the communities in which we worked. For a young student, it was an amazing resource that combined front-line communiques, calls (demands really) for greater activism on the part of scholars, as well as news about new publications. It made me feel as if I was truly part of a committed group of scholar activists, and that we were doing important work, work that was desperately needed. My role at the time was as a bystander, but the things I read in the mailer made me want to follow the lead of those whose voices and ideas I was reading. As I recall, Marilyn Moors did everything for the mailer, often on her own dime, and this was just a small part of what she did for the GSN and for the cause of truth and justice in Guatemala. By the time I took over around 2006, we were safely in a computer mailer age, and the job was greatly simplified. Folks send me things, and I just compile them in a simple, easy to navigate format, and send them out. Through the course of my work, I have had the opportunity to correspond and interact with virtually every scholar in the field, from the scholar-activist heroes of my youth to the grad students of today. It has been tremendously rewarding work, and anyone who undertakes this job will be similarly rewarded beyond measure. So if you are interested, and feel like you can give the mailer a couple of hours a week over the next couple years or so (a two-year commitment would be ideal for the sake of continuity) please send me a note and I will get it to the GSN Board and we will make a selection.

Regards,
Tom Offit

__________________________________________________________________________

CONTENTS

1. GREAT LOOKING SYMPOSIUM ON THE GUATEMALAN PEACE ACCORDS AT MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY
2. EXCITING UPDATES FROM THE MAYA EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION
3. LAWYER NEEDS EXPERT WITNESS HELP ON TODOS SANTOS/ REFULGEES IN MEXICO CASE
4. BAY AREA ATTORNEY NEEDS HELP ON GANG VIOLENCE CASE
5. MARTA CASAUS PAPER FROM RECENT USC SHOAH FOUNDATION CONFERENCE ON GENOCIDE IN GUATEMALA (SEE ATTCHED)
6. ROLLINS COLLEGE HAS GREAT POSTDOC FOR LATIN AMERICA SCHOLAR

7. CHUJ INTERPRETER NEEDED IN NASHVILLE

______________________________________________________________________

A FEW LINKS
A. Guatemala: Prosecutor Who Led Ríos Montt Genocide Trial Arrested http://www.democracynow.org/2016/9/23/headlines/guatemala_prosecutor_who_led_rios_montt_genocide_trial_arrested
B. CEPR PAPER QUESTIONS THE SUCCESS OF US-FUNDED EFFORTS TO COMBAT CRIME IN CENTRAL AMERICA http://cepr.net/publications/reports/have-us-funded-carsi-programs-reduced-crime-and-violence
C. Mining company tied to Reno faces scrutiny for Guatemala operations http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2016/09/06/mining-company-tied-reno-facing-new-scrutiny-its-operations-guatemala/88919098/
D. NY TIMES OP-ED GUATEMALA'S FRAGILE PROGRESS http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/opinion/guatemalas-fragile-progress.html?_r=0
E. Guatemala judge bars president's son, brother from leaving country pending probe http://www.investing.com/news/world-news/guatemala-judge-bars-president's-son,-brother-from-leaving-country-pending-probe-426536

n commemoration of the twentieth anniversary of the signing of the Guatemalan Peace Accords (1996), please join us for a comparative symposium:

"What Was Achieved? Migration, Impunity, and Social Justice after the Peace Accords in El Salvador and Guatemala"
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
Oct. 27-28, 2016
In the 1980s, El Salvador and Guatemala were in the midst of brutal civil wars pitting leftist guerrillas against military counterinsurgencies, in a political context of repression, foreign intervention, and dictatorship. El Salvador’s Peace Accords (1992) successfully demilitarized the country and have been hailed as a model for what such agreements can achieve. By contrast, many elements of Guatemala’s Peace Accords (1996) were never implemented and the agreement is often considered a failure; yet unlike El Salvador until very recently, Guatemala has brought some of those responsible for wartime atrocities to trial in national courts.

“What Was Achieved” considers current conditions in Guatemala and El Salvador in the wake of their peace agreements, focusing on migration, impunity, and social justice. Taking advantage of an unusual constellation of expertise and interest in Central America at Marquette and in the Milwaukee area, it asks what challenges remain and whether any lessons might be applied to other conflicts worldwide.

On Thursday afternoon, a keynote panel discussion on the peace accords themselves will feature distinguished guests with deep experience in both countries. On Friday, three roundtables will bring our invited speakers into structured but informal conversation with Marquette faculty and students, community members, and the audience.

Guest speakers include Victor Montejo, Aura Lolita Chávez Ixcaquic, Marcie Mersky, Héctor Lindo-Fuentes, Joaquín Chávez, and Gene Palumbo.

The event is free and open to the public. For the program and more information, see http://whatwasachieved.wordpress.com

Dear GSN Members:

Some MEF updates for you:

At our recent annual Board meeting, we bade farewell to our President and GSN'er Carol Hendrickson and wished her a happy retirement. We will miss her very much! She will, however, stay a friend of MEF and has signed up already to participate in the upcoming English Language Program where volunteers go to Antigua to teach English for two weeks to Maya university students who are receiving MEF scholarships.
Pablo Chavajay was voted our new President. Long-time board member and most recently MEF's VP, he has experience and visits Guatemala often, meeting with MEF partners and students. He is Tz'utujil Maya from San Pedro La Laguna in Guatemala. Laura McClusky was voted in as our new VP. She has special expertise with the situation of the Mayas of southern Belize and has already made several site visits to MEF partners in the Toledo District. This year she also traveled from Belize to Guatemala by boat to visit with the MEF scholarship students in Livingston.
You may know that Christa Little-Siebold and Jean-Marie Simon have more recently joined the MEF Board and we are fortunate to have them.
For all MEF News and Board members, bios etc., please visit www.mayaedufound.org and for most recent events, click through to our Facebook page. If you have not yet, please like us on FB. Thank you.

We're approaching an important milestone next year: Our 25th Anniversary!
1992 marked the year when a small group of people that included GSN'ers Marilyn Moors and Chris Lutz and several Guatemalans, Mayas and non-Mayas, envisioned, conceptualized, incorporated, and officially started MEF as a non-profit with the mission of promoting the educational advancement of young Mayas in Guatemala.- You'll hear and read more about this in upcoming MEF news.

One thing is for sure: In order for MEF to continue its work of providing educational opportunities to the Maya people in Guatemala, Chiapas/Mexico, and Belize, we need to urgently find additional people and organizations interested and willing to help and to support MEF.

Guatemala Scholars Network members have been an integral part of supporting MEF all along. We thank you! Please, reach out to us if you have leads or suggestions for people or groups or organizations that might want to join our efforts. And keep spreading the word. It has never been more important.

With kind regards,
Elisabeth Nicholson

Elisabeth Nicholson, Executive Director
Maya Educational Foundation
P.O. Box 1483
Wellfleet, MA 02667, USA
ph: 508-349-1330
fax: 508-349-0252
e-mail: mayaedufound@aol.com
skype: mefskypes www.mayaedufound.org

________________________________________________________________

I hope that this email finds you well. I am an immigration attorney in Oakland, and am hoping to put out a query to the Guatemalan Scholars Network for a case that I currently have.

My client's family is from Todos Santos, and they fled to Mexico during the civil war. My client was born in Maya Tecun Uman, Mexico on 9/20/1990, and has a birth certificate, her birth was registered in Campeche, on January 10, 1992. Her birth was also registered in Todos Santos on March 18, 1992. She lived in Guatemala only for about a year when she was an infant.

In removal proceedings she is being charged with being a national of Mexico and a citizen of Mexico and Guatemala.

This doesn't seem correct to me, but that is just because in prior cases I have never seen an indigenous Guatemalan born in Mexico be considered a Mexican citizen. My quick internet research came across articles about Mexican birthright citizenship, which does exist, but noted the differences between citizenship and nationality.

In any case, I am very curious if someone with knowledge of the refugee camps/people in Mexico during the early 1990s could talk to me about whether my client is actually a Mexican citizen, or if this is something that we would be able to fight in her removal proceedings.

Thank you so much for your time, and if it is appropriate to send to the Guatemalan Scholars Network, for posting it there. If you have any questions or need any documentation, please contact me.

Best,

Sarah Kate Heilbrun
Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law
436 14th Street, Suite 716
Oakland CA 94612
Tel: 510.868.0633
Fax: 510.894.8484
www.HNHimmigration.com

_______________________________________________________________

Jennifer Bagalman <jennifer@blimmigration.com>
AttachmentsSep 23 (2 days ago)

to me
Dear Mr. Offit,

My name is Jennifer Bagalman and I am attorney working for Becker & Lee, and immigration law firm in San Francisco. I was referred to you by Professor Levenson-Estrada.

I am currently working on an asylum case involving gang violence in Guatemala. The client is Guatemalan; witnessed his brother's murder by gang members; and reported it to the police. Neither he nor his brother have any connections with gangs and since the time of the murder, gang members keep showing up in his village and demanding to know his whereabouts. He fled to the U.S. and is applying for asylum. He is likely only eligible for withholding and CAT, but we're trying to see an exception to the one-year deadline might apply. The individual hearing is on 10/26/2016 at 1pm in San Francisco.

Would you be able to or interested in writing an expert letter and being available for telephonic testimony? If so, please let me know your total fees. If not, I'd be grateful for any other experts in whose direction you could point me. Also, Professor Levenson-Estrada said that you may be able to publish my client's declaration in the online newsletter. In case this is possible, I've attached a redacted copy of the declaration.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best, Jennifer Bagalman

5. MARTA CASAUS PAPER FROM RECENT USC SHOAH FOUNDATION CONFERENCE ON GENOCIDE IN GUATEMALA

Marta Casáus Arsú related to what she talked about at a conference on genocide in Guatemala in the Rios Montt era sponsored, organized by the Shoah Foundation held in Los Angles this past week (SEE ATTACHED)

http://jobs.rollins.edu/cw/en-us/job/492411/alfred-j-hanna-distinguished-postdoctoral-fellowship-in-latin-american-and-caribbean-studies

S. Ashley Kistler, PhD

Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Anthropology

Director, Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program

Reviews Editor, Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology

Rollins College

1000 Holt Ave Box 2761

Winter Park, FL 32789

(407) 691-1707

_____________________________________________________________

7. CHUJ INTERPRETER NEEDED IN NASHVILLE

"Looking to locate a Chuj speaking individual in Nashville Tennessee.
Anthony email: requests@theparliamo.com ph: 615 522 9895/615 649 8767/ 615 269 6465/ www.theparliamo.com "