GSN MONDAY MAILER OCTOBER 27 2014

Posted by on Tuesday, November 4, 2014 in News, Uncategorized.

KEEP THOSE LINKS COMING

1. ONE LONELY LINK  Guatemalans Mark Revolutionary Anniversary with Protest  http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2357402&CategoryId=23558

2. EXPERT WITNESS NEEDED FOR KANJOBAL SPEAKER IN ICE DETENTION

I'm representing a Mayan pro bono client who is detained at the Karnes Detention Center. She fled Guatemala due to some sort of persecution, but due to cultural and language challenges, I'm having a hard time determining who is persecuting her. She is Kanjobal. 

I'm told you have some expertise in this culture. Would you be able to discuss what is going on there with me and shed light on my client's story? Without some further explanation, I'm afraid I will not be able to help her and for some reason, she is terribly afraid to return to Guatemala.  Please let me know – you can reach me at the information below, or at 415-244-4235. 

Thank you.  

Best, 
Kate

Kate M. Emminger
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
One Market, Spear Street Tower | San Francisco, CA 94105
Direct: 415.442.1437 | Main:415.442.1000 | Fax: 415.442.1001
kemminger@morganlewis.com |www.morganlewis.com
Assistant: Paula R. Lesure |415.234.1752 |plesure@morganlewis.com

3. NAPA-OT SUMMER FIELDSCHOOL IN ANTIGUA

Call for Students:  NAPA-OT Field School in Antigua, Guatemala

The NAPA-OT Field School in Antigua, Guatemala is now recruiting anthropology, occupational therapy public health, and other social science students for its four-week summer session: June 1 – 26, 2015

The field school offers transdisciplinary learning to promote leadership in social justice through collaboration with Guatemala-based NGO and other community partners. Graduate students and upper division undergraduate majors in applied or medical anthropology or related social sciences are encouraged to apply via our websitewww.napaotguatemala.org by December 31, 2014. 

The field school is a project of the NAPA-OT SIG (National Association for the Practice of Anthropology – Occupational Therapy and Occupational Science Interdisciplinary Special Interest Group) of the American Anthropological Association. Faculty include anthropologists and occupational therapists with credentials and interests in health care access and human rights, child development, and public health.

The objectives of the program are:

· To explore efforts to achieve social justice in Guatemala, a country with a history of ethnic and class violence

· To examine health disparities in Guatemala through applied medical anthropology theory and human rights discourse

· To understand the determinants of health and basic epidemiology in developing nations

· To provide a transdisciplinary fieldwork opportunity to students of occupational therapy, anthropology, and related subjects

· To promote social justice through partnerships in and around Antigua, Guatemala with NGOs, community groups, health care workers, and other social change agents

· To explore the concept of “occupational justice” as an emerging practice area in occupational therapy and applied anthropology

Applicants students will have the opportunity to work in one of three project groups:

• NGOs Networks and Perspectives of Child Migration:  Examining Perceptions of Root Causes
  • Pediatric Practice:  Interrelationships of Play, Nutrition, and Early Child Development
  • Sustainable Social Enterprise for Water:  Social Justice, Community Development, and Household Occupations

Students also will study Spanish a minimum of 9 hours per week, working one-on-one with certified language instructors at their own level and pace.  Visit our website for more information at www.napaotguatemala.org

— 

Rachel Hall-Clifford, PhD, MPH, MSc
In-Country Director
NAPA-OT Field School, Guatemala

4. ARCHAEOLOGIST NEEDS ASSISTANCE ON ETHNOGRAPHIC PERSPECTIVES ON SMALL MAMMALS

I'm a zooarchaeologist working at El Peru-Waka' and La Corona in Peten, and I'm currently looking into Maya ethnographic and ethnohistoric perspectives on small mammals that frequent agricultural areas. Specifically, I'm interested in agoutis/tepezcuintles (Doc referred to them as "tailless squirrels"), opossums, and rabbits, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight beyond the classic ethnographies and Contact Period accounts. Would it be possible to join the group and to pose this question?

Thanks, and best regards,
Diana Fridberg <dfridberg@gmail.com>

5. EXPERT WITNESS HELP NEEDED FOR MAM YOUTH FLEEING FROM MS-13

We are representing a Mam Guatemalan teenager seeking asylum because of the MS-13’s violent efforts to recruit him.  Sarah Brenes, at Advocates for Human Rights, recommended emailing you because you might be willing to email a listserv with a description of our case in order to find a suitable expert.

Please let me know if you would be able and willing to use your listserv to help us find an expert.

Thank you,

Jen Olson

Jennifer LOlson | Attorney | Stinson Leonard Street LLP
150 South Fifth Street, Suite 2300 | 
MinneapolisMN 55402
T: 612.335.1867 | M: 612.418.8153 | F: 612.335.1657
jennifer.olson@stinsonleonard.com | www.stinsonleonard.com
Legal Administrative Assistant: Carla Redmon | 612.335.7131 | carla.redmon@stinsonleonard.com

6. SCHOLAR LOOKING FOR TRANSLATOR FOR EXCELLENT GUIDEBOOK

I am looking for a professional English-to-Spanish translator for my cultural guidebook, Guatemala Journey Among the Ixil Maya (published in 2013). Website: www.GuatemalaIxilJourney.org. Translators with strong track record and reference can contact me at: smbplace@gmail.com.

thank you for posting this at the next opportunity… or for any contacts you would like to send me directly.

very best
Susanna

Susanna Badgley Place

617 513-5961

Join me for an incredible journey:

Thomas A. Offit Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Department of Anthropology

Baylor University

(254) 710-6226