VURC Subcommittee for International Research and Engagement
- Review and help develop the programmatic vision for global initiatives. Including:
- Helping to implement the strategy proposals adopted by the International Strategy Working Group in its final report.
- Providing ongoing input into the implementation of the global research strategy, including the global fellows program, media and development strategy, reducing administrative barriers, and the Global Institute.
- Providing advice about programmatic decision-making and strategies for the Global Institute.
- Review competitive proposal applications. The subcommittee review work has both ex ante and ex post components. For example, the subcommittee may review small grant proposals ex ante and may develop some ideas for how to make this process more efficient, including using a roster of reviewers to pull reviewers who are expert in relevant disciplines/topics. The ex post model may work best for workshops that are already planned for this year, for example.
- Identify priority initiatives to facilitate international research and engagement at VU. Group will identify priorities, next steps, etc.
- Develop a strategy, mission, and structure for the future Global VU Institute. Build on existing strategy and on new input to develop a proposed strategy, mission, and structure for a future institute.
- Liz Zechmeister (Chair; College of Arts and Science; VURC member)
- Ted Fischer (Ex Officio; College of Arts and Science)
- Ingrid Wuerth (Ex Officio; Law School)
- Muktar Aliyu (VUMC)
- Roger Colbran (School of Medicine Basic Sciences)
- Carolyn Heinrich (Peabody College)
- Moses Ochonu (College of Arts and Science)
- Mariann Piano (School of Nursing; VURC member)
- Lijun Song (College of Arts and Science)
- Robert Webster (School of Engineering; VURC member)