Global Fund Overview, Eligibility and Process
The Global Research and Engagement Micro-Grant Program helps faculty pursue international research, scholarship and creative expression projects or pursue strategic, time-sensitive opportunities for global research and engagement. This program is designed to support smaller scale projects that are not conducive to existing internal funding programs.
Eligibility and Funding Guidelines
- All full-time, VU-employed (Provost-reporting) faculty are eligible. Non-tenure track faculty must obtain approval from their dean.
- Faculty may submit one proposal per year as lead faculty.
- Applicants are encouraged to consider how their proposal advances inclusive excellence.
- Funds may not be used to support faculty salary.
- Faculty who receive a Global Research and Engagement Micro-Grant award are not eligible to submit another proposal (as lead faculty) until their current award is complete and all reporting requirements have been met.
- Awards are based partly on need. As a result, each participating faculty member must disclose institutional resources available in the form of start-up funds or other discretionary research funds. All institutional research-support funds must be noted, including endowed-chair funds, annual allocations and other such sources.
- All funds must be used within the fiscal year they are awarded.
All proposals must be submitted online using InfoReady Review, Vanderbilt’s online submissions portal.
- Project title (less than 9 words)
- Summary – brief review of proposed project, program or travel for use in promotional materials (50 words max)
- Detailed proposal (750 words max)
- Discuss the overarching theme, research question or area of scholarship to be addressed
- Address the impact on the field, faculty involved and/or university
- Detail the timeliness and/or time-sensitivity of the funding
- Review how funds will be used
- If relevant, discuss why it is important for Vanderbilt to engage on this event or incident
- Measures of success (250 words max)
- Discuss goals, expected impact and/or related deliverables
- Disclosure of current internal resources for all VU faculty involved
- Provide line items of estimated expenses, total not to exceed $5,000 (exceptions will be considered based on funds available)