Skip to main content

Metro Nashville Social Services Resources

Small Business Administration

SBA helps flood victims who are individuals and households, not just small businesses. Flood victims should apply for an SBA loan, even if they are not a small business and even if they do not want a loan – by July 6, 2010.

Many flood victims have not applied for all the assistance which may be available to them. It is especially important that individuals whose homes were damaged be aware of how they can receive the help they need.

If flood victims received less than the $29,900 maximum from FEMA assistance, they might be eligible for additional help if they had significant damages in excess of that amount. For those whose damages far exceeded the $29,900 but who received less from FEMA, it is important that they all submit an application for an SBA loan by July 6, 2010 – even if they do not want a loan and even if they are individuals rather than a small business.

The reason they should apply for an SBA loan is that many of the applicants for a loan are denied the loan but instead receive an additional grant from SBA. Even if they are approved for a loan, they do not have to take the loan if they do not want it (but it is a good deal at 3% interest). Submitting an SBA loan request should not affect their credit.

Several thousand SBA applications have been distributed to flood victims but very few have been submitted. If the SBA applications are not postmarked by July 6, flood victims are not eligible for SBA loans, other grants, and for some longer term supportive services. If flood victims have difficulty completing the application, they should fill it out as well as they can and send it to SBA which will contact them if they need additional information.

Tennessee Department of Human Services

To apply for cash (TANF), food stamps, or TennCare, go to the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS) Office or apply online. The Davidson County Office is located at 1000 2nd Avenue North; telephone 615-532-4000 or 615-743-2000. To apply online, click here.

Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development

To apply for unemployment insurance, contact the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development. Click here to apply online or by telephone at 877-813-0950.

Tennessee Justice Center

For people who have requested aid and have been turned down, the Tennessee Justice Center may be able to help flood survivors who were denied FEMA and unemployment assistance. For assistance, please call 877-608-1009 or 615-255-0331.

The Tennessee Justice Center also works to help children access health insurance via TennCare or CoverKids. After children are enrolled, they may also be able to help children get the health care services they need through TennCare (dental, physical, mental health or specialized care). Parents and providers may contact them for information and assistance.