Skip to main content

Flood Assistance Contacts

Financial Assistance


For information call the Red Cross Phone Bank at (615) 250-4250.
Visit the Tennessee Housing Search Web site at

  • Lipscomb University Student Life Center, 3901 Granny White Pike, Nashville TN
  • Al Menah Shrine Temple, 1354 Brick Church Pike, Nashville TN
  • Gordon Jewish Community Center, 801 Percy Warner Boulevard, Nashville TN***
  • McGavock High School, 3150 McGavock Pike, Nashville TN
  • Bellevue Middle School (FULL), 655 Colice-Jeanne Road Nashville TN
  • ***Even though the Gordon Jewish Community Center has stopped accepting donations of clothing, household goods, etc, the already collected supplies at the GJCC are open to anyone in need, not just those staying at the shelter. GJCC has an enormous supply (brand new and gently used) of clothes, shoes, toiletries, bedding, baby supplies, cleaning supplies, and more.The auditorium has been converted to a department store by their gracious volunteers. (Updated May 6)

    Disaster Assistance Centers

    UPDATE: May 27, 2010
    New Location for the FEMA 100 Oaks Disaster Recovery Center. On Saturday, May 29, at noon, the 100 Oaks FEMA Center will be relocating to 500 Wedgewood Ave. (at the Fairgrounds) in Nashville. The Center will be open 7 days a week, from 8am-7pm.

    UPDATE: MAY 21, 2010

    Metro has closed its Disaster Information Centers in Davidson County. The distribution of water, personal products, cleaning supplies and other donations will be at nonprofit and faith-based distribution centers. Bottled water distribution sites set up at five locations in Davidson County will remain open. A full list of bottled water distribution sites is available at

    For a list of nonprofit and faith-based distribution centers, click here.

    UPDATE: May 21, 2010

    A FEMA Disaster Recovery Center has opened in Sumner County on the second floor of Wood Campus Center at Volunteer State Community College, 1480 Nashville Pike in Gallatin. It is open 7 a.m.-7 p.m. seven days a week. Before visiting the center, people should register online at or call (800) 621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585 for those with speech and hearing disabilities. Help in all languages is available.


    Emergency Food Boxes

    • New Song Christian Fellowship, 2949 Nolensville Road, Nashville, TN (615) 837-9353; Hours: Th: 2-5; F: 11-2
    • Una Church of Christ, 1917 Murfreesboro Road, Nashville, TN; (615) 361-8920; Hours: W: 9-11
    • Hamilton United Methodist Church, 3105 Hamilton Church Road, Antioch, TN (615) 361-7210; Hours: M & W: 4-6; Sa: 9-12
    • Woodmont Baptist Church, 2100 Woodmont Blvd, Nashville, TN

    Health and Safety Information

    • Factsheet on protecting yourself from flood-related risks
    • Flood waters may contain sewage and other hazardous substances – there is some risk of disease from eating or drinking anything contaminated with flood water.
    • If you have any open cuts or sores that will be exposed to flood water, keep them as clean as possible by washing well with soap to control infection. If a wound develops redness, swelling, or drainage, seek immediate medical attention.
    • Do not allow children to play in flood water areas, wash children’s hands frequently (always before meals), and do not allow children to play with flood-water contaminated toys that have not been disinfected. You can disinfect toys using a solution of one cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water.
    • If you smell the odor of natural gas in your home (similar to rotten eggs) do not turn appliances on or off, and do not use your home phone. Leave the premises immediately and call Piedmont Natural Gas from a neighbor’s home or your cell phone. Do not try to turn off your natural gas service on your own.
    • If you see a downed power line wires, assume it is live and report the emergency to 911.
    • Be sure to turn off all power to flooded areas in your home containing electrical wires or appliances.

    Additional helpful information on post-disaster clean-up and more is available at the University of Illinois’ disaster resources homepage.


    Replacing lost documents

    • Driver license: If your driver license has been lost or destroyed, you may be eligible to obtain a replacement online. You may also obtain a replacement by applying in person at any driver service center.
    • Birth, death and marriage certificates: Contact the Tennessee Office of Vital Records.
    • Passport: Contact the U.S. State Department, 24 hours a day (202) 955-0430
    • Social Security and Medicare Card Replacement: Visit or (615) 736-5384
    • Deeds and Titles: Contact the Register of Deeds in your county
    • Credit Cards: Call your credit card company. VISA: (800) VISA911; American Express: (800) 441-0519; Discover: (800) DISCOVER


    • Nashville Humane Association
      213 Oceola Ave, Nashville, TN
      (615) 354-6345 or 352-1010
      Phone: 406-7799
      They have volunteers who are willing to do temporary foster care for those flood victims who are temporarily displaced from their homes.

    To track down a missing pet or find shelter for a pet while displaced, visit the Nashville Humane Association or call and leave a message. To volunteer at the Humane Association, visit Hands On Nashville at to sign up.

    Utility Contact Number

    Flood Debris Guidelines For Metro Residents

    • All items and materials MUST be separated into four different piles, and placed at the curb or streetside for collection.  If the debris is not separated, it will not be collected.
    • White goods and metals (appliances, etc.)
    • Construction and demolition debris (lumber, windows, etc.)
    • Vegetation (brush, limbs and all other yard waste)
    • Household trash and garbage (including carpet)
    • Items should NOT be placed in public alleys.  Alleys need to remain clear for emergency crews and trash collection services.
    • All debris and flood-damaged items should be placed at the curb/streetside for collection.  DO NOT bring these items to Metro Convenience Centers for disposal.  For additional information, residents should call Customer Service at (615) 862-8750.

    Insurance Company Hotlines

    • Allstate Insurance Company (800) 255-7828
    • American National Property & Casualty (800) 333-2860
    • AIG Insurance Company (877) 638-4244
    • American Superior (800) 342-2762
    • Auto-Owners (888) 252-4626
    • Cincinnati Insurance Company (877) 242-2544
    • Cotton States (800) 457-1658
    • Encompass Insurance (800) 340-3016
    • Fireman’s Fund (888) 347-3428
    • Grange (800) 445-3030
    • Hartford Insurance Company (800) 637-5410
    • Liberty Mutual (800) 633-1833
    • Nationwide (800) 421-3535
    • Progressive (800) 776-4737
    • Prudential (800) 346-3778
    • Safeco Insurance (800) 332-3226
    • State Farm (800) 732-5246
    • St. Paul/Travelers (800) 252-4633
    • Tennessee Farm Bureau (800) 836-6327

    If you cannot reach your agent or your insurance company, or if you have problems with your claim, contact the Tennessee Department of Insurance at (615) 741-2241.

    Lawyer Referral Service
    Contact the Tennessee Bar Association at (615) 383-7421 or (800) 899-6993. Your information will be collected and provided to disaster relief efforts once a referral system is in place.

    The Nashville Bar Association
    315 Union St., Ste. 800
    Nashville, TN 37201
    (615) 242-6546

    Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services

    Tennessean article: Legal aid, attorney general offer help for flood victims

    Volunteer Reception Centers
    Volunteers continue to be centrally managed by Hands On Nashville. HON has established six Volunteer Reception Centers (staging areas) for volunteers who are doing neighborhood wellness checks and clean ups. Volunteers can go into personal homes if home owners sign a liability waiver that is collected by the volunteer. Volunteer Reception Centers will continue to operate each day as needed. For information about VRCS contact Josh Corlew at

    Translation Services
    Bilingual outreach and translation services are taking place through Conexcion Americas and TN Immigration Rights Coalition. They are providing daily assessment maps of pockets of non English speakers and their needs and providing translation services for key documents. Current languages are: Spanish, Arabic, Somali and Kurdish. Other languages will be provided as needed.

    Legal/Fraud Prevention
    The TN Legal Aid Society/TN Young Lawyers Division is coordinating disaster legal clinics through the Disaster Information Centers. Lawyers are onsite to provide a variety of support including insurance, housing and FEMA filings. A FEMA Legal Hotline will be established.

    Case Management
    Metro is working through Metro Social Services, Centerstone, Catholic Charities, TN Disabilities Coalition and others to create a long term plan for case management and transitions for individuals who need social and support services due to displacement.

    Long Term Housing
    Metro MDHA and the Housing Fund are working on analysis of available local housing units for short and long term use. A clearer long term housing plan will be in place once coordination takes place with FEMA.