The Career Center provides ongoing opportunities for students to learn about and explore professional opportunities, including career coaching, workshops, career panels, career fairs, graduate school advising, field trips, and more. Please visit us anytime during your time at Vanderbilt and take advantage of all we have to offer!
Here are some key steps to helping your student get started on the right path:
- Encourage engagement with the Career Center as soon as possible! Internship and job recruitment starts earlier than you think. Some industries are on an accelerated timeline. For example, in finance, one should begin their search during the sophomore year (for an internship during the summer before senior year). We recommend connecting with Career Coaches during a student’s first year on campus. First-Year Career Coaches have space at The Ingram Commons for weekly drop-in hours. Locations and hours for drop-ins can be found on the Center’s website.
- Encourage your student to completely fill out their profiles in DoreWays (the Career Center’s online resource where they can learn about and connect to professional opportunities on and off-campus). DoreWays is also the portal where companies can post opportunities and find potential candidates for internships and jobs.
Picture Your Career
Packed with dozens of interactive exercises from Dr. Kate Brooks & Grace Foy of Vanderbilt University’s Career Center, this guidebook will help you:
- Develop your vision and discover possible career trajectories
- Discover your talents and understand how they help you in the workplace
- Get organized and set goals for your future
- Complete inner work such as managing emotions and anxiety
- Explore possibilities in your career field
- Conduct a job search with practical tips on networking, interviewing, and resumes
When it comes to your student’s future, our career coaches are here to help. We help students gain clarity about their future.
We understand the process can be overwhelming which is why we would like to meet with all students virtually this fall.
Here’s how we do it:
- Students start by scheduling an appointment with me through DoreWays.
- Together, we will design an action plan to help them reach their goals.
- Throughout the semester, we will meet and watch their future begin to take shape!
We want to help all students eliminate the risk of missing opportunities and start discovering what’s possible!
Vandy In Career Community
Encourage your student to join a Vandy In Career Community!
One path to career success is finding your career community. But it can be frustrating and hard to know where to start. We want all students to have easy access to industry professionals, alumni, coaching, and more. For this reason, our career coaches and employer specialists created eight career communities that any VU undergraduate can join: Communications, Consulting, Entertainment, Education, Finance, Health, Public Sector, and Tech.
HERE ARE 3 QUICK STEPS STUDENTS CAN TAKE TO GET STARTED:
- Complete their DoreWays profile. We communicate with the groups via email & students will be included once their industry preferences are selected. Go to My Profile > Career & Academic > Career Interests.
- Read our emails and follow us on Instagram to stay up-to-date.
- Schedule an appointment with a coach to create a personal action plan.
How you can help
Please use the link below to access a form that can connect your company’s internship and job opportunities with the Career Center’s career management system, DoreWays.
Of particular interest and need are internships and job opportunities in the following industries:
Advertising, Public Relations
Social & Human Services
Biotech / Pharmaceutical
Publishing / Journalism
For a listing of industries and job functions from the Career Center click here.