Welcome to SkyVU in Review – features, announcements, tips & tricks and other updates for Vanderbilt’s Oracle Cloud system and related processes.
Oracle Cloud Updates
Upcoming: Prepare for Oracle Update 21C on August 20
Testing is underway for the new release of Oracle Cloud update 21C, and additional information regarding applicable updates and new features will be shared over the course of the next few weeks via user group meetings, in-system guidance, email and/or MyVU as applicable.
The quarterly upgrade will begin at 9 p.m. on Friday, Aug 20, and continue through Saturday, Aug 21.
A downtime notice will be displayed on our website while the upgrade and testing are underway and will be removed when these activities are complete and the system is available to all users.
In Focus: Student Employment
Summer semester ending in August
In preparation for the end of the semester, HCM Specialists should review the Student Worker Graduation Report for Summer 2021.
The summer semester graduation date is August 13, 2021, and employment for any student worker graduating in August must be terminated in Oracle as of this date.
If you have graduates who will work with Vanderbilt University post-graduation they will need to be converted to VTS by August 13. Please email email@example.com if you need instructions on how to move a student to a VTS assignment.
Please also remind students to submit their timecards as soon as they finish working and prior to their termination date in Oracle. After their termination date, they will no longer be able to access the time card.
Preparing for fall semester hiring
The Student Employment team has provided detailed reminders for fall hiring in their Back to School Newsletter – HCM Specialists should review this information in detail and share with any hiring managers in your areas.
- Virtual Job Fair begins August 1
- Federal Work Study can be used beginning August 1 (monthly) or August 8 (biweekly) – refer to the newsletter for costing and other details
- Hiring process and documentation
- Creating the work relationship: Students who have not previously been employed must share their data access with an HCM Specialist or Hiring Manager to start the hiring process. Previously-employed students will be available to create a work relationship in Oracle.
- Submitting the I-9: Timely completion of Parts I and II the I-9 is required
- Form W-4 submission: Student workers must submit their Form W-4 in Oracle (click here to review instructions)*
- Direct Deposit: Student workers must enroll in direct deposit for payroll – additional information is available here*
* Users should not email Form W-4 or direct deposit information to HR
Tip of the Month: Update your photo in the Directory
Users are encouraged to add their photo to their Oracle profile so that it is visible in the Directory and Connections apps. In addition, your photo will be available in the employee roster in the event of an emergency.
To add or change your photo:
(1) Open the Directory or Connections
(2) Search for your own name or select to view your public info
(3) Click the camera icon to upload and save your photo
Financial Unit Managers, HCM Specialists and BU/E Approvers
FUMs, HCM Specialists, Approvers and other enrollees should access the Oracle Cloud Continuing Education: Financials and Core HR User Group 2021 series in Oracle Learning.
- Sessions 21A and 21B are now available. If you were unable to attend either of this year’s sessions so far, please be sure that you review the video and presentation materials within the course.
- All enrollees can view and download calendar invitations for future sessions within the Oracle Learning course.
All current Procurement Requesters should have received an email regarding enrollment in the updated Vanderbilt Procurement for Departmental Procurement Requesters training series, which must be completed as a part of the annual role reauthorization process. Please reach out to your BU-E Approver if you have any questions regarding role reauthorization and recertification training.
Quarterly Continuing Education Series
Procurement Requesters and other users should access the Oracle Cloud Continuing Education: Procurement User Group series to view Sessions 21A and 21B if they have not already done so.
- If you have a question regarding a specific purchasing transaction, please contact the Purchasing and Payment Services team using the contact information provided on the Get Help page; or
- If you would like to suggest a topic for a future quarterly update or topic-based user session, please click here to submit your idea.