Margaret Cuninggim Women's Center May 2021 Newsletter

Having trouble viewing this email? View as a webpage.

Women's Center 2 E-Newsletter [Vanderbilt University]

May 2021 Newsletter

Inclusive Book Group: Discussion of Circe

Wednesday, May 5, 12:00 p.m. CT

For information and to RSVP, contact ACE@vanderbilt.edu.

Parenting Group

Wednesday, May 12, 12:00 p.m. CT

Please register here.

We send our congratulations to our graduating seniors—thank you for your hard work for the Women’s Center and for the campus community during your time at Vanderbilt! We’ve asked our seniors to tell us about a favorite memory from their time working at the Women’s Center. Thank you for sharing these memories. We wish you all the best!

Isabela Anawate

My favorite part about being a Vandy Sex Ed intern was definitely just being able to contribute to such a sex positive and supportive community made up of such incredible individuals. 🙂

Jordan Baines

My favorite memory as a Women’s Center intern was hearing the incredibly heartfelt and honest letters that the Body Project participants wrote to their younger selves or other people in their lives about the damaging effects of perpetuating and trying to achieve the beauty ideal. You cannot manufacture that kind of bond. 

Valeria Chavez

My favorite memory of my time as a Women’s Center intern would have to be our Sex Ed and Healthy Relationships Week Valentine’s Day self-care event in 2020. That was really the last in-person event I attended on Vanderbilt’s campus before the pandemic, and it will actually end up being the last in-person event I attended before graduating. After having worked so hard on our programming for the week, it was extremely rewarding and so much fun to get to prioritize self-care on campus. I will always fondly remember sitting around playing with Orbeez and handing out safer sex kits to attendees!

Katherine Deegan 

My favorite part of being a Women’s Center intern has been seeing the long-lasting impact of the Body Project on the women who participate in it. My sophomore year, I helped lead a Body Project group that ended right before spring break. In the middle of spring break, one of the participants sent a message in our GroupMe saying that because of her experience with the Body Project, she was walking around in a bikini on the beach without a cover up, when she was used to always hiding her body out of shame. It was so beautiful to see this woman becoming more compassionate toward herself and more comfortable in her body, and to know that I played a part in that was special beyond words. I’m so grateful for this experience and all of the inspiring, intelligent, and resilient women I have met through my participation in the Body Project. 

Bitania Endalkachew

I think the best part of being a Women’s Center intern is knowing about and getting to experience a transformation in everyone, from the people who went to programming to the interns to the staff.

Katy Hamilton

My favorite memory from my time as a Women’s Center intern was planning Sex Ed and Healthy Relationships Week 2020. We had so much fun brainstorming ideas for workshops and goofing around putting condoms on our arms, and in the end we pulled off a really fun, amazing, informative week of programming! It was so cool seeing how passionate my peers were about various topics related to sexual health and pleasure, and to see how we were able to connect with the Vanderbilt community and beyond.

Oluwatobi Odugunwa

My favorite memory was our first meeting over the summer. I was really nervous because I knew the other interns knew each other, but the atmosphere was so relaxed and welcoming, so I quickly felt at home. Everyone was quite sweet, and it was a huge bonus that these people also shared similar values to me. I have enjoyed all the programs I have led with fellow interns, and I only wish I had gotten to spend more time with everyone.

Claudia Vial

My favorite memory from my time at the Women’s Center is of facilitating my first ever program Marianismo and Popular Culture. Around 30 people came, a mix of faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduates, showing me that conversations about gender and gender equity can bring people across campus together.  

AAUW National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL)

May 25 – 26

The Women’s Center is sponsoring the attendance of up to 10 people. Please contact Brianna Nesbitt to reserve your spot (brianna.nesbitt@vanderbilt.edu).

For more information, click here.

Women’s Health Research Symposium

May 3, May 10, May 17

10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. CT

To register, click here.

End of the Year Party

Tuesday, May 4, 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT, K.C. Potter Center

Join LGBTQI Life for food, games, prizes, and a fabulous photo booth!

Lavender Celebration

May 5 – May 7

Sign-up for Lavender Celebration, Graduates! All LGBTQ+ students graduating anytime in 2021 are welcome to sign-up!

Fill out this form if you want to be featured!

PersistVU Virtual Graduate Recognition Ceremony

Thursday, May 13, 11:00 a.mCT

To register, click here.

Network First-Gen Virtual Graduate Recognition Ceremony

Thursday, May 13, 2:00 p.m. CT

To register, click here.

The Summit: Advancing Inclusion & Diversity in the Workplace

Wednesday, May 19, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT

To register, click here.

Single Parent Group

Thursday, May 20, 11:00 a.m. CT

Sign up here.

Questions? Contact Amanda King (amanda.d.king@vanderbilt.edu)

image2273314

Rory Dicker, Director

Brianna Nesbitt, Assistant Director

Bailey Via, Program Coordinator

Zoraida Hu, Graduate Assistant

Libby Crew, Administrative Assistant

Women’s Center  |  Anchor Link Page
(p) 615.32(2.4843)  |  womenctr@vanderbilt.edu

Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University®, V Oak Leaf Design®, Star V Design® and Anchor Down® are trademarks of The Vanderbilt University. ©2024 Vanderbilt University. All rights reserved.