Faculty and Staff
Home » Vanderbilt WordPress Theme
Vanderbilt WordPress Theme
Access to your Administration
Username: <your vu email address>
Password: <provided admin password>*
*We highly recommend you changing this password to something you can remember.
Online WordPress Tutorials
- WordPress 101 – The Basics
- WordPress.tv – How To Videos for practically everything WordPress
- If you have a Lynda.com account – they have a whole section of WordPress tutorials.
Vanderbilt Theme Administration
A few assumptions …
This theme has been tested with WORDPRESS 3.1.1 +. DO NOT USE THIS with any version less than 3.0, it is not compatible.
- This theme is setup under the assumption that your site navigational structure is based on the PAGES and SUBPAGES of the site. Any news or blog posts or other date-based information would be within the POSTS section.
- If you are using POSTS as your websites page structure – this theme won’t look right at first. I’d encourage you to move your posts to pages, as that’s what pages are meant to be (there are quite a few plugins that will move your posts to pages with the click of a button) — 🙂 And keep posts for date based information.
- The homepage of your site is one of your pages. You set this at: Settings > Reading > Front Page Displays *choose your homepage * You must set this in order to have the display look correct.
Below is a brief description of the current options available in the theme.
General Site Settings
- Navigation Style – top with dropdowns or right side list.
- Pages to hide in navigation – include the page ids of pages you don’t want to appear in your navigation (i.e. your homepage, or a page that is in your site – but isn’t primary information)
- Short Descriptive Blurb for right sidebar – perhaps a one or two sentence blurb about your organization (not required)
- Search Method – use wordpress search or the Vanderbilt Google Search appliance.
- Breadcrumbs – breadcrumb navigation is displayed automatically at the top of all pages and posts.
Graphic Header Options
- Use an image as the header instead of text – if you’d like to use a graphic header instead of plain Text (This also moves the searchbox down to the right column)
- URL of header image – simply create an image no wider than 950 pixels, upload it – and put the URL here.
- Header Background Color – pick a color to coordinate with your background image.
Homepage Slider Settings
- Include slideshow on homepage – Any post or page with a tag “featured” will be put in the slideshow. The image that will be used is the FEATURED IMAGE that you choose in the right column.
- For the caption – it automatically pulls the title of the page or post. If you would rather use customized text, simply add a customfield “featuretext” with the text you would like to use (being mindful of the length available for display).
Right Column News Feed
- Include news feed in the right column?
- External news feed – if you’d rather use an external news feed instead of the POSTS section of your website, place the feed URL here (beginning with http:// and NOT feed://)
- If you do have a news section in your WordPress site – the theme is thumbnail enabled. Currently – the thumbnails only display on the archives page.
Social Media Links
- The social media section in the extended footer.
- Connect Section Title – what you would like the header of that section to be.
- Facebook – URL to your facebook page
- Twitter – URL to your twitter account
- Flickr – URL to your flickr account
- Flickr UserID – your flickr userid (NOT YOUR LOGIN); go to this website to find your flickr id: http://idgettr.com/
- YouTube – URL to your youtube account
- Footer Link List Heading – currently YOUR VANDERBILT
- Link List Column One – formatted as unordered list; input as many li’s with links as you would like in the left column
- Link List Column Two – formatted as unordered list; input as many li’s with links as you would like in the right column
- Footer copyright text – this will display next to the Vanderbilt University copyright notice.
- Google Analytics Code – put your google analytics code here – it will be placed right above the closing body tag.
- You create a customfield — name it googlecal or vimeo or sitemason (whatever you want).
- Paste the html/php/js code you are wanting to use in as the value.
- Click “add custom field”
- Go back up to the post – where you want the code to be – and put the shortcode in: or .
Other built-in features:
- Breadcrumbs – breadcrumb navigation will automatically appear on all pages other than your homepage.
- Sharing – social media sharing icons are added at the bottom of each page or post.